Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Section

বাংলা
Dhaka Tribune

Bailey Road fire: 5 members of Italian expat family killed

  • Came to Bangladesh for a vacation
  • 45 died in Bailey Road fire
Update : 01 Mar 2024, 12:18 PM

Syed Mubarak, an expatriate living in Italy, had come to dine at a restaurant on Bailey Road in the capital along with other members of his family, just like many others.

They might have finished their meal or not. What is now confirmed is that they would not return home alive.

Five members of his family including Mubarak died in the fire, Mubarak's cousin Faisal told reporters early Friday.

Faisal told reporters at Dhaka Medical College Hospital that Mubarak was scheduled to return to Italy within a month, even though he had been living abroad for a long time. The fire took away everything.

The deceased were Syed Mubarak, 48, his wife Swapna Akhter, 40, daughters Fatema Tuz Zohra Kashfia, 19, Amena Akhter, 13, and son Syed Abdullah, 8.

Expatriate Mubarak's village home is in Shahbazpur village in Sarail upazila of Brahmanbaria district

Faisal said that around 8pm, Mubarak left his home in Dhaka’s Mugda with his wife Swapna and their children.

At that time, he had said that they were going to eat at a restaurant Kacchi Bhai. They reached there too. But after the fire broke out, they could not be found.

Later, their bodies were found in the morgue of DMCH.

At least 45 people were killed, and over 20 others sustained severe injuries by a devastating fire on Thursday night.

Firefighters rescued 70 people, including 42 in unconscious state, from the rooftop and different floors of the seven-storey Green Cozy Cottage.

The fire broke out at the restaurant named Kacchi Bhai on the first floor around 9:45pm. Many people were dining in the restaurants when the fire spread to other floors.

Most of the people died as they jumped off the building or from burns or suffocation, said firefighters who brought the fire under control around 12:30am.

Fire officials say the blaze spread fast due to the presence of gas cylinders on several floors in the restaurant kitchens. People could not leave the building due to smoke in the staircase.

Timeline: Bailey Road fire
Top Brokers

About

Popular Links

x