Friday, June 21, 2024

Section

বাংলা
Dhaka Tribune

Fire service: Bailey Road blaze likely originated from kitchen

At least 45 people died in fire

Update : 01 Mar 2024, 11:29 AM

The devastating fire that broke out at a multistorey commercial building in Baily Road is likely to have started from the stove or gas leakage in kitchen from one of the several restaurants, Fire Service and Civil Defense said.

During a press briefing from the spot, Fire Service Director General Brigadier General Main Uddin disclosed the information after a primary investigation early Friday.

He said: "I think the fire may have started from a stove or a gas leak."

Gas cylinders were scattered along the only staircase of the seven-storey Green Cozy Cottage building in the capital's Bailey Road, where at least 45 people were killed in a devasting fire on Thursday night.

“The building also did not have an emergency exit point. Except for the second floor, gas cylinders were kept on every floor and even the stairs,” the fire service chief said.

The commercial building housed at least six restaurants, including Kacchi Bhai. The other restaurants are- Khana’s, Pizza Inn, Street Oven, Ambrosia and Fuoco Hot.

Besides, there were outlets of Gadget and Gear and electronics brand Samsung in the ground floor.

On the third floor, there was a clothing store called Eileen.

It has been identified that there were three eateries namely Khana's, Pizza Inn and Street Oven on the fourth, fifth and sixth floors respectively.

Apart from these, there is another clothing store called Closet Cloud in the building.

All businesses are believed to have been destroyed in the fire.

The fire broke out at the restaurant named “Kacchi Bhai” on the first floor around 9:45pm. Many people were dining in the restaurants when the fire spread to other floors.

Firefighters rescued 70 people, including 42 in unconscious state, from the rooftop and different floors of the seven-storey Green Cozy Cottage.

Most of the people died as they jumped off the building or from burns or suffocation, said firefighters who brought the fire under control around 12:30am.

Fire officials say the blaze spread fast due to the presence of gas cylinders on several floors in the restaurant kitchens. People could not leave the building due to smoke in the staircase.

Timeline: Bailey Road fire
Top Brokers

About

Popular Links

x