Monday, June 24, 2024


Dhaka Tribune

Two killed in ‘gunfights’ in Kushtia, Cox’s Bazar

The incidents occurred in Kushtia’s Sadar upazila and Cox’s Bazar’s Teknaf upazila in the early hours of Sunday

Update : 25 Nov 2018, 11:40 AM

Two men have been killed in alleged gunfights in Kushtia and Cox’s Bazar.

The incidents occurred in Kushtia’s Sadar upazila and Cox’s Bazar’s Teknaf upazila in the early hours of Sunday.

In Kushtia, a robber by the name of Khokon Ali alias Haatkanda Thandu, 45, was killed in an alleged gunfight.

Police claim he was killed over a dominance feud between rival groups. 

The incident occurred in the Mollategheria Canal Para area of Kushtia Sadar upazila around 1:30am Sunday.

According to Kushtia Model police station Officer-in-Charge (OC) Nasir Uddin, police responded to the news of an ongoing gunfight between two rival groups. 

Sensing police presence, the robbers opened fire at them and escaped. After they left, police found Haatkata Thandu in a wounded state and sent him to Kushtia General Hospital, where the attending doctor declared him dead on arrival.

Thandu had several cases in his name with various police stations.

Four policemen were wounded during the gunfight, police said.

They also recovered a foreign pistol and four bullets from the location.

Thandus body was sent to Kushtia General Hospital mortuary.

In Cox’s Bazar, a gunfight between two groups of yaba traders resulted in the death of top drug dealer Ziaur Rahman Zia, 32.

The incident occurred on the Marine Drive Road area of Baharchhara union in Teknaf upazila at dawn on Sunday. 

Teknaf police station OC Pradip Kumar Das said: “We received a tip-off that a gunfight had broken out in the area between two rival groups of yaba traders. Upon reaching the location, the police were fired upon by the drug dealers, prompting them to fire back in self-defence. 

Soon after, the drug traders retreated and police recovered Zia’s bullet-ridden body. He was then transported to the Upazila Health Complex, where the attending doctor pronounced him dead. 

Police also recovered three local weapons and 20,000 yaba tablets at the location.

The body was sent to Cox’s Bazar Sadar Hospital morgue for an autopsy. 

Top Brokers


Popular Links