Sunday, June 23, 2024


Dhaka Tribune

Robin’s fate hanging in balance

Update : 05 Jun 2017, 01:52 AM
The charge-sheet in the much-hyped Mitu murder will ascertain the fate of Shah Zaman Robin, who was arrested over the killing a year ago. Though investigators did not find any involvement of the 28-year-old suspect in the assassination, he has been languishing in jail since the incident. Mahmuda Khanom Mitu, 32, wife of the retired superintendent of police, Babul Akter, was brutally stabbed and then shot dead in Chittagong city’s GEC intersection in the morning of June 5. She along with her son was waiting for the latter’s school bus when the gruesome incident took place. According to the investigators, Robin will be freed from jail only if he is dropped from the charge-sheet. In a latest development regarding the case, Chittagong Metropolitan Police (CMP) Commissioner Iqbal Bahar on Sunday said the charges over the murder will be pressed in July. Robin is among the five accused arrested so far, while the prime accused Kamrul Islam Musa and Kalu are still on the lam. Investigation says that police informant Musa had hired the killers and masterminded the killing. When asked about Robin’s fate, CMP’s Detective Branch (DB) Additional Deputy Commissioner Mohammed Kamruzzaman, also the investigation officer of the case, said: “No link of Robin to the murder was found as yet. But, his role in the incident is still being probed.”Ordeals of RobinPolice sources said Robin’s father Md Shah Jahan, hailing from Laksham upazila of Comilla, is yet to meet him in jail since his arrest. Chittagong Jail sources said Robin, who was a resident of Bayezid area in the city, is kept in a cell accommodating nearly one hundred criminals.How Robin was arrestedHe was arrested by a DB team from the city’s Shital Jharna area on June 11 last year, just six days into the murder. Police then said that Robin’s physical appearance, as seen in CCTV footages, matching that of one of the killers led to his arrest. CCTV footages show that three killers on a motorbike carried out the killing mission with one of them talking over phone just before the murder. After the arrest, police took Robin in remand several times, but did not find his connection in the incident. Meanwhile, two of other accused-- Anwar and Wasim-- after their arrest, admitted at a court that they were linked to the assassination. Before Robin, police arrested one Abu Nasar Gunnu from Hathazari upazila on June 6, who was bailed a few months later.
Top Brokers


Popular Links