Reliable Brokers
Online Investing
Alerts & Analysis
Easy Trading

30 injured as madrasa students clash with police in Brahmanbaria

The injured students were taken to Brahmanbaria District Sadar Hospital and other hospitals for treatment

Update : 19 Aug 2026, 03:40 PM

At least 30 people, including 24 madrasa students and six policemen, were injured in a clash between students of Darul Arkam Madrasa and police during a cultural program at the Brahmanbaria Police Lines on Tuesday night.

The incident occurred around 11:30pm inside the Police Lines in the western Medda area of the city after madrasa students reportedly complained about loud music being played at the program.

According to police, madrasa students and locals, the district police were organising the cultural program at the drill shed to mark the arrival of Chittagong Range DIG Abdul Quddus Chowdhury.

Students of the nearby Darul Arkam Madrasa reportedly complained that the loud music was disrupting their studies ahead of examinations scheduled for Wednesday.

Some students went to the Police Lines and asked police personnel to lower the volume. An argument subsequently broke out between the students and police.

As news of the altercation spread, more than 100 madrasa students entered the Police Lines, leading to heightened tensions.

Police then charged with batons to disperse the students, who responded by throwing stones, according to witnesses. The situation subsequently turned violent, with clashes reported inside and outside the Police Lines.

Students’ account

Some students of Darul Arkam Madrasa said they had been preparing for examinations when the loud music began disrupting their studies.

They said they initially approached police and requested that the volume be lowered. Although the music was turned down temporarily, they alleged that the volume was later increased again.

The students alleged that police subsequently charged them with batons when an argument broke out.

The injured students were taken to Brahmanbaria District Sadar Hospital and other hospitals for treatment.

District BNP General Secretary and Upazila Parishad Administrator Sirajul Islam Siraj visited the hospital with party leaders and activists and inquired about the injured students.

Later, madrasa students held a protest procession on several roads in the city and gathered in front of the Press Club for a protest rally. They demanded exemplary punishment for those responsible for the incident.

Around 3am, the Brahmanbaria Qawmi Chhatra Oikya Parishad placed a five-point demand in the presence of Police Superintendent Shah Md Abdur Rouf and District Council Administrator Sirajul Islam Siraj.

The demands include banning loud concerts at the Police Lines that disturb nearby institutions, reviewing CCTV footage and taking action against those responsible, ensuring proper treatment for the injured, implementing the demands by 10am and having the police superintendent take responsibility and issue an unconditional apology.

Police superintendent’s statement

Brahmanbaria Police Superintendent Shah Md Abdur Rouf, who was present at the program, later visited the madrasa and said the incident resulted from a misunderstanding over the sound from the cultural program.

In a video message, he said the CCTV footage would be reviewed transparently and action would be taken against those found responsible or those who acted excessively.

“Many children have been injured because of a small misunderstanding. This is really unfortunate, and I feel bad about it,” he said.

The police superintendent said arrangements had been made for the injured to receive proper treatment and that necessary financial assistance would also be provided.

He said an investigation committee would be formed, with student representatives included, to examine the incident and ensure justice.

Hefazat leader calls for calm

Maulana Sajidur Rahman, principal of Darul Arkam Madrasa and secretary general of Hefazat-e-Islam Bangladesh, also urged students and others to remain calm.

In a video message, he said the police superintendent and District Council Administrator Sirajul Islam Siraj had visited the madrasa and discussed the students’ demands.

He said the police superintendent had assured them that exemplary action would be taken against those responsible after reviewing the video footage.

Sajidur Rahman urged students, ulema and others concerned to remain calm, saying the matter would be properly investigated and justice ensured based on the footage.

Top Brokers