Saturday, June 22, 2024


Dhaka Tribune

Cuet closed indefinitely, bus set on fire by protesting students

  • Decision taken at an emergency meeting
  • Students asked to leave dormitories
  • Two Cuet students killed in road crash on Monday
Update : 25 Apr 2024, 06:55 PM

The authorities of Chittagong University of Engineering and Technology (Cuet) on Thursday announced the shutdown of the institution following the ongoing protest over the death of two students in a road crash.

The decision was taken at the 151st emergency meeting of the Cuet Academic Council.

A notice signed by the university's Registrar (Additional Charge) Professor Dr Sheikh Muhammad Humayun Kabir said that due to the situation arising out of the untimely death of two meritorious students of the university on April 22, a meeting was held on Thursday led by the vice chancellor.

According to the decision of the meeting, all academic activities, including examinations, at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels of the university have been declared closed indefinitely.

The male students have been asked to vacate the dormitories by 5pm on Thursday and female students by 9am on Friday.

After the announcement was made, the protesting students locked the VC’s office and set fire to one of the two buses they had confiscated earlier.

The CU students have been protesting for four days over the death of two classmates — Shanto Saha and Taufiq Hossain of the civil engineering department — in a road crash on Monday.

Since Thursday morning, students have staged protests on Kaptai road in front of the Cuet campus. At 12:30pm, they held a press briefing to articulate their demands, which included widening the Chittagong-Kaptai road to four lanes.

They have declared that the agitation will persist until their demands are met and have also requested dialogue with the university administration.

Referring to their movement as a "safe road movement," the students have urged locals to support their cause. Additionally, they have called on students from all universities across the country to stand in solidarity.

Following the student protests, a press briefing was convened at the vice-chancellor's building, where Professor Dr Md Rezaul Karim, director of the Department of Student's Welfare, represented the administration.

He said that despite multiple offers for dialogue, fruitful discussions have not materialized. He announced that a postponed meeting of the academic council would convene to reach a final decision.

Meanwhile, angered students locked the main gates of Academic Building-3, Mechanical Engineering Department, and Electrical Engineering Department of Academic Building-2 around 1pm as part of their protest. They have urged for the uninterrupted continuation of the movement at the central Shaheed Minar premises by 2pm.

Earlier, on Monday at around 3:30pm, three Cuet students were involved in a motorcycle accident in Jianagar under Chittagong's Rangunia police station area.

Two students, Shanto Saha and Taufiq Hossain, from the civil engineering department, lost their lives when a high-speed Shah Amanat Paribahan bus collided with their motorcycle. In response, enraged students detained four buses and set fire to one bus on Wednesday.

Top Brokers


Popular Links