Saturday, June 15, 2024


Dhaka Tribune

Desperate pleas, ransom negotiations fail as abducted youth found dead in Chittagong

  • Abducted August 28 night
  • Kidnappers demanded Tk15 lakh
  • Family paid Tk2 lakh ransom
  • One of the accused beaten to death by mob
Update : 11 Sep 2023, 09:09 PM

Thirteen days following the abduction and ransom negotiations, the dismembered body of a 20-year-old college student was discovered in Chittagong’s Raozan area on Monday. 

The deceased youth was identified as Shibli Sadiq Hriday, son of Md Shafiq, hailing from Panchpara village in Kodolpur union of Raozan upazila. 

His body was recovered at 9:30am from the Doluchori hilly area on the Kodolpur-Rangunia border.  

Meanwhile, on the way back with the body, one of the accused, Umongching Marma, was taken from the police and beaten to death by an agitated crowd. 

During this time, the crowd also vandalized the police vehicle, and some police members were injured.

According to local sources, Shibli Sadiq was a student at Kodolpur School and College. 

Besides his studies, he worked at a poultry farm in Kodolpur. He was abducted from the farm on the night of August 28. 

Two days after the abduction, the kidnappers contacted his family demanding a ransom of Tk15 lakh.

Later, the family negotiated with the abductors and agreed to pay Tk2 lakh. A few days later, Shibli’s father Shafiq went to a location called Dulapara in the Bandarban area and handed over the ransom money to two individuals. 

However, they did not release Shibli. With the youth still not released, the family lodged a complaint at the Raozan police station.

Nahida Akhtar, the mother of the deceased, said: "Following the abduction, I received a distressing call on my husband's mobile. The call came from our son, Shibli."

During the call, Shibli urgently said he was taken by unidentified individuals around midnight, had been held captive inside a vehicle for nearly 12 hours, and urged not to call his number, said Nahida Akhtar. 

“Shibli said the abductors threatened to end his life if anyone tried to make a phone call to his number,” she said. 

“Later, Shibli contacted me again on my mobile, saying that a ransom of Tk15 lakh was required for his release. Concerned for Shibli's safety, we negotiated, eventually agreeing to pay Tk2 lakh,” she added. 

Nahida Akhtar further said: “Despite meeting their demands and paying the agreed amount, our son was not returned to us. Desperate for his release, my husband even pleaded at their feet with the money."

Raozan police station Officer-in-Charge (OC) Abdullah Al Harun said: "A few days ago, we arrested two individuals in connection with the kidnapping and, following a court order, they were sent to jail.”

“On Sunday, we detained another suspect, Umongching Marma, in connection with this case. Based on the information he provided earlier today, we launched an operation in the Doluchori hilly area, near the Kodolpur-Rangunia border," he reported.

"During our operation, we recovered the dismembered body of Shibli from various locations as directed by Umongching,” said the OC. 

“While returning with the body, a local crowd of over 500 people obstructed our path in Panchpara village. The crowd took Umongching Marma from our vehicle and fatally assaulted him,” he said. 

“We plan to take legal action in response to this incident," he added. 

Top Brokers


Popular Links