Thursday, June 13, 2024


Dhaka Tribune

Two drown escaping police chase

Body sent to a hospital morgue for autopsy

Update : 07 Aug 2019, 12:52 AM

A local leader of the Magura district unit of the Awami League and an accused  in a drug dealing case in Narayanganj drowned in a water body on Tuesday trying to escape arrest by the police.

In Magura, the body of a Magura Awami League leader, who jumped into the Kumar River fearing arrest on Tuesday night, was recovered on Wednesday.

Deceased Md Amirul Islam was the president of the Shreepur upazila's ward-2 Shrikol union unit Awami League.

The body was recovered around 9:30am from the river. Injury marks were found on the body, locals said.

Tarikul Islam, Additional Superintendent of Magura Police, confirmed the matter.      

The victim's brother Md Kamrul Islam, claimed that Detective Branch (DB) of police conducted an anti-drugs drive in the Hatshrikhol Bazar area of the upazila around 9pm.

During the drive, police searched people, including Amirul, to recover drugs, but failed to do so, he said.

"Although, the detectives did not recover drugs from Amirul's possession, they detained him in a case. Fearing arrest, Amirul ran away and jumped into the river. Since then, he was missing," alleged Kamrul.

In Narayanganj, a man accused and serving an arrest warrant in a drug dealing case, drowned in an unclean pond at the Chanpara Rehabilitation Center in the Koyetpara union as he attempted to escape arrest following police chase, on Tuesday.

The deceased was Liton, 35, son of Abdul Malek of Chanpara, of the Rupganj upazila. Rupganj police station's Officer-in-Charge (OC) Mahmudul Hassan confirmed the matter. 

Eyewitnesses and police said, Liton was known to have been a drug trader and drug abuser. He was also accused in a drug dealing case and was serving an arrest warrant issued by the Rupganj police.

Based on an intelligence tip-off about Liton's presence around the Chanpara area, a group of policemen led by the Chanpara police outpost's in-charge SI launched a drive. 

Sensing police presence, accused Liton in an attempt to escape the place ran and dived in a pond and sunk into the water body. 

On information, a rescue team from the Demra Fire Service recovered the body following several hours of rescue operation.

Later in the evening, the body was sent to the Narayanganj Hospital morgue for autopsy.

Top Brokers


Popular Links