Friday, May 24, 2024


Dhaka Tribune

Blogger Nazimuddin murder trial yet to start after 8 years

  • Killed in April 2016
  • Police submitted charge sheet in 2020
Update : 07 Apr 2024, 07:32 PM

Nazimuddin Samad, a law student at Jagannath University, was returning to his Gendaria home after classes on the night of April 6, 2016. But he never returned to the mess where he used to live with fellow students. Militants of the banned outfit Ansar Al Islam attacked him in Lakshmibazar area of the capital and hacked and shot him before leaving the spot.

The day after the incident, Sub-Inspector (SI) Md Nurul Islam of Sutrapur police filed a case over the murder. On August 18, 2020, police submitted a charge sheet against nine accused in the case.

On January 20, 2022, the Dhaka Anti-Terrorism Special Tribunal accepted charges against nine members of the banned militant outfit, including Syed Ziaul Haque alias Major (sacked) Zia.

The eight other accused are Akram Hossain, Mozammel Hossain Saimon, Arafat Rahman Siam, Sheikh Abdullah alias Jubair and Asadullah alias Foyjul, Sabbirul Haque Chowdhury, Junaid Ahmed alias Maulana Junaid, and Rasidunnabi Bhuiyan alias Tahsin.

Of them, Major (sacked) Zia, Akram, Sabbirul, Tahsin and Junaid are on the run, while Mozammel, Arafat, Abdullah, and Asadullah are behind bars.

The case is currently pending at the court of Judge Mojibur Rahman of the Anti-Terrorism Special Tribunal for a hearing on charge framing.

Although eight years have passed since the murder, the case has not been officially started. The prosecution could not say when the proceedings in the case would start. But they are hopeful that the trial will begin soon and the murderers will get exemplary punishment.

The last hearing was scheduled for March 25 of this year. However, the four arrestees were not produced before the court due to security reasons on that day. Later, the court fixed May 15 for the hearing.

Golam Charwar Khan Zakir, the state counsel, said: The prison authorities could not bring the arrestees to the court on due dates as there were insufficient number of policemen at the police station. Due to all these reasons, the case is not being heard.” 

He said a lot of time has passed in the investigation of the case. Meanwhile, the court also remained closed for several months due to the coronavirus outbreak. Additionally, five other accused in the case are currently absconding. In such cases, the court has to follow certain procedures. 

"Hopefully, the accused will be produced in court on the next date, and charges will be framed against them. After that, we will try to finish the trial of the case quickly by producing witnesses,” he said.

Advocate Nazrul Islam, representing the defendants, said the court should proceed with the case since it has been a long time since the incident. The accused are also being harassed in various ways due to the delay. 

“We want the case to end quickly. May the guilty be punished and the innocent be freed,” he added.

Top Brokers


Popular Links