Friday, June 21, 2024

Section

বাংলা
Dhaka Tribune

Next witness in Qaisar case April 28

Update : 24 Apr 2014, 09:19 PM

The defence of Syed Mohammad Qaisar yesterday ended cross-examination of the eighth prosecution witness who said the accused was responsible for the abduction and murder of his father. The International Crimes Tribunal 2 adjourned the hearing until April 28.

Wounded freedom fighter Shah Hussain Ali alias Sabu Mia, 63, testified against the former Jatiya Party state minister on April 22. He said his leg had been crippled following the torture of Qaisar and his cohorts at a camp.

During the cross-examination, the witness apologised several times for taking much time to narrate the incidents. He was overwhelmed to get the opportunity to elaborate the crimes committed by Qaisar Bahini led by the accused in Habiganj during the war.

The defence counsels asked him about time and place of the incidents that he had mentioned in his deposition. They tried to create controversy about his identity as freedom fighter since he does not get any allowance. But the witness claimed that his name had been included through gazette during HM Ershad’s regime. In response to another query, Sabu Mia said he had filed a case against Qaisar in Habiganj in 1972, but it had no further development. “After 1975, there was no scope to continue any case filed against the war criminals.”

The witness identified Qaisar in the dock. During the proceedings, Sabu Mia expressed satisfaction at least three times to Almighty Allah for making him able to tell the tribunal about the days of torture in 1971.

The tribunal indicted Qaisar on February 2 on 16 charges of crimes against humanity he had allegedly committed in and around Habiganj to help the Pakistani occupation forces on the pro-liberation people. 

Top Brokers

About

Popular Links

x