Friday, June 14, 2024


Dhaka Tribune

Shamim Osman admits to his conversation with Nur Hossain

Update : 23 May 2014, 10:52 PM

Shamim Osman, the ruling party lawmaker from Narayanganj, has admitted to having a phone conversation with Nur Hossain, the prime accused in the case filed over sensational abduction and killing of seven people in the district.

He admitted it before the media at his Gulshan residence yesterday evening.

Earlier yesterday, private television Channel 24 broadcast a phone conversation between Shamim Osman and Nur Hossain.

At the press conference, Shamim Osman said: “I repeatedly told Nur Hossain to surrender before the court if he was not guilty. But Nur Hossain did not accept my suggestions.

“I did not advise him to flee, but rather suggested that he should surrender to the law.”

He narrated how he had tried to get Nazrul back after he had been abducted along with six others.

Shamim said: “An army major – I will not mention the name – threatened me saying, ‘If we are not safe, you cannot be saved either.’

“I should quit politics as I could not save the lives of my fellows and my activists have been killed one after another.” Mentioning that his life is under threat, the ruling party lawmaker begged help of the media.

He also expressed anxiety over Rafiur Rabbi’s security.

Rabbi, father of murdered teenager Tanvir Mohammad Twoki, will contest in the Narayanganj 5 by-poll scheduled for June 26.

“If Rafiur Rabbi disappears, people will accuse me,” Shamim said, demanding Rabbi’s protection.

He also called for a judicial inquiry into Twoki’s murder.

Conversation between Shamim Osman and Nur Hossain

During the 103-second conversation between Shamim Osman and Nur Hossain over phone, Shamim asked Nur if he had received his message. In reply, Nur said he had.

Shamim also asked Nur not to worry too much.

Nur sought help to flee the country; he addressed Shamim Osman as his father and said he loved Shamim very much.

In reply, Shamim assured Nur that there would be no more problems and asked him to meet a man named Gaur.

Sources in the intelligence said Nur had made the phone call to Shamim around 9:30pm on April 29 from a place near Road 4 in Dhanmondi of the capital.

Narayanganj City Corporation panel mayor Nazrul Islam, lawyer Chandan Sarkar and five others were abducted on April 27 and then killed; their bodies were dumped into the Shitalakkhya River.

Nazrul’s family members alleged that then Rab 11 commanding officer Lt Col Tarek Sayeed Mohammad, Rab 11’s Major Arif Hossain and Lt Commander SM Masud Rana killed them in exchange for Tk6 crore which they received from Nur Hossain.

On April 28, the authorities concerned dismissed the three Rab 11 officials along with the superintendent of Narayanganj police and the deputy commissioner.

Following the allegations, the Armed Forces Division sent Tarek Sayeed and Arif Hossain on premature retirement from the army and Masud Rana on forced retirement from the navy. 

Top Brokers


Popular Links