Friday, June 21, 2024


Dhaka Tribune

ACC interrogates GK Shamim over illegal wealth

ACC is quizzeing him the first day of the seven-day remand

Update : 03 Nov 2019, 07:40 PM

Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) is interrogating SM Golam Kibria Shamim alias GK Shamim at its headquarters in Segunbagicha of the capital.

A team led by the Deputy DirectorJahangir Alam and Salauddin Ahmed are interrogating him after Shamim was brought to the ACC headquarters in Segun Bagicha from the Dhaka Central Jail in Keraniganj around 2:15 pm on Sunday, said the anti-graft watchdog's public relation officer’s Pranab Kumar Bhattacharya.

ACC is quizzeing him the first day of the seven-day remand.

According to case files, ACC found that Shamim amassed Tk50 crore illegally via immovable wealth till the fiscal year (FY) 2018-19. He tried to show the legitimate source of Tk40,21,40,744 of his income but did not have any source backing the remaining Tk9,78,59,256. On investigation, it was found that the entire Tk50 crore was amassed illegally.

Similarly, his company GKB and Company Private Limited also could not show legitimate source of income of Tk43,57,40,832 for FY 2017-18.

Additionally, Shamim amassed Tk36,35,18,719 in movable wealth via GKB and Co's shares, cars, and FDRs which also did not have a valid source. He held 80% of the shares and the remaining 20% were owned by his mother, Ayesha Akhter.

Besides, Tk1,81,28,000 was recovered from Shamim's house in cash, Tk7,47,000 in foreign currency ($9,000), and FDRs worth Tk165,27,65,000 during his arrested on September 20.

As for Khalid Mahmud Bhuiyan, ACC found that he amassed Tk5,58,15,859 illegally in FY 2018-19. Although he tried to prove legitimacy of Tk1,66,10,080 in immovable property, ACC investigation found that he made around Tk4.5 crore illegally.

Further, he tried to prove legitimacy of Tk1,32,76,709 in movable wealth but did not have legitimate sources for Tk90,16,709 from his business.

Besides, Tk10,34,550 was recovered from Khaled’s house in cash, and Tk7,64,600 in foreign currency.

Top Brokers


Popular Links