Monday, June 17, 2024


Dhaka Tribune

Running bus set on fire, one killed

Update : 28 Nov 2013, 09:06 PM

The third day of the opposition-sponsored blockade on Thursday saw another arson attack on a bus in which one person was killed and 18 received severe burn injuries as their bus was set on fire by pickets at Shahbagh in the evening.

Mohammad Nahid, 18, son of Sohrawardi Morol, from Shibchar area succumbed to his injuries around 10pm at the ICU of the burn unit at Dhaka Medical College Hospital. Doctors said 53% of Nahid’s respiratory system was damaged by the fire.

Nineteen passengers were severely injured as the Bihanga Paribahan bus of Sadarghat-Mirpur route came under attack around 6pm as two pickets on a motorcycle threw a petrol bomb on the running vehicle near Matsya Bhaban.

As fire spread quickly, the driver stopped the bus and many passengers were able to get out of it.

Law enforcers and local people took the injured to the DMCH where doctors had a tough time attending to so many burn victims at a time.

Samanta Lal Sen, coordinator of the DMCH burn and plastic surgery unit, told the Dhaka Tribune that they primarily found that the fire had affected the victims’ respiratory systems and their condition had been critical.

“We have already shifted two patients to the ICU and seven others to the High Deficiency Unit,” he said, adding that teams were working to provide the best possible service.

The burn and plastic surgery unit of Dhaka Medical College Hospital was filled with the wails of people.

Of the victims, Masuma Akter, 32, senior officer of Rupali Bank and wife of Mahbub, received 17% burn injury and was shifted to the ICU. She was on her way home at Tejgaon from Bangshal.

Garment worker from Savar Mohammad Robin, 22, son of Abdus Salam, was also shifted to the ICU with 59% burn injuries.

Nahid came to the capital to buy winter clothes at Framgate but he could not reach there as fire burnt 18% of his body. He said he was in the middle section of the bus and heard the sound of petrol bomb exploding.

The driver had driven the bus away from the spot of the attack and parked it at a safe place, but fire had already spread on the bus, he said.

“It was a planned attack. In primary investigation, we learnt that the fire was caused by a petrol bomb,” Maruf Hossain, deputy commissioner of police of Raman Division, told the Dhaka Tribune.

Driver Mahbub Hasan, 35, from Gaibandha, also got 30% of his body burnt in the incident bus conductor Mohammad Hafizul, 22, from Mirpur, suffered 18% burn.

Abu Talha, 42, a small businessman from Meherpur, received 21% burn, Mohammad Shamim, 30, son of Ali Akbar from Munshiganj, who works at a cloth shop at Kaliganj, suffered 15% burn, Rajaul Islam, 23, staff of Pacific Fan company, from Tejgaon, suffered 25% burn, vegetable trader from Joypurhat Mohammad Amzad, 42, suffered 20% burn, and Shafiqul Islam, 37, junior officer of First Security Bank, from Amtola suffered 23% burn.

Advocate Khodeza Nasrin, 45, wife of advocate Rezaul Hassan, of Banglabzar received 21% burn injury, Wahidur Rahman Babu, 24, son of Waziullah and a Dhaka University student of political science, suffered 28% burn, Mohammad Nurunnabi, 55, assistant sub-inspector from Kamrangirchar, suffered 10% burn, and Susmita Sen, 16, a reporter of private television station ETV, received 11% burn injury, and her mother Gita Sen, 40, received 21% burn injury.

Apart from them, Jahangir Hossain, 45, an accountant from Goshairhat upazila, private car driver Abdur Razzak, 40, from Lakshmibazar, Riad, 23, and Nahid, 32, received 15% burn injury.

Soon after the incident, Shamsul Hoque Tuku, state minster for home, Hassan Mahmood Khandker, inspector general of police, and Benazir Ahmed, commissioner of Dhaka Metropolitan Police, visited the victims at the DMCH. 

Top Brokers


Popular Links