Friday, June 14, 2024

Section

বাংলা
Dhaka Tribune

Police probe finds 4 lawmen guilty of negligence

Update : 07 Feb 2016, 07:35 PM

Four officials of the capital’s Shah Ali police station did not perform their duties properly during an attack on tea stall owner Babul Matubbor and failed to take necessary actions in the aftermath of the incident, a police probe body has found.

The committee, led by Deputy Commissioner Tutul Chakrabarti of the discipline wing at DMP Headquarters, submitted its report yesterday to Dhaka Metropolitan Police Commissioner Asaduzzman Mia.

When contacted, DC Tutul however refused to comment on the findings, saying all queries should be forwarded to the DMP media wing.

Maruf Hossain, DC of DMP’s media and publication, confirmed that the report had been submitted, but also did not comment on any details about the report.

But a senior DMP official, seeking anonymity, told the Dhaka Tribune that the investigation revealed that the accused policemen were near the crime scene but did not try to save the burning man or take him to the hospital.

The probe committee recommended disciplinary action for the negligence of the four men: Sub-Inspector Mominur Rahman, SI Niaz Uddin Mollah, Assistant Sub-Inspector Jogendranath and Constable Jasim Uddin.

SI Niaz was found guilty of letting one of the attackers get away, and the other three for playing the role of silent witnesses, the official added.

Although, witnesses mentioned the presence of SI Shreedhar Chandra Howladher at the time of the incident, the committee did not mention his name in its report.

Deputy commissioner of Mirpur Division of police, Kayumuzzaman, told the Dhaka Tribune yesterday that the disciplinary wing of DMP HQ would take action against the accused shortly.

On February 3, Babul Matubbor, received severe burn injury when a team of Shah Ali police allegedly attacked him causing an oil spill from his stove. He was admitted to Dhaka Medical College Hospital but succumbed to his injuries on the following day.

Another police probe committee led by Mirpur ADC (crime) Masud Ahmed was also supposed to submit its findings yesterday, but has now sought a two day extension to their deadline.

When contacted, ADC Masud said two days of additional time has been sought so that no detail is missed from the report.

Meanwhile, the family of the deceased was supposed to file a case with a court against the guilty policemen, but is now saying they would wait for the police reports.

Raju Ahmed, the son of Babul Matubbor, said the police did not record a case when they first went to the station with the allegations. When they later tried to file the case with a court, the probe committee members assured the family that they would file a report against the guilty police officials, Raju said. So, the family is now waiting on that assurance, he added.

Babul’s daughter has already filed an attempted murder case against six to seven suspects including some unidentified persons; if needed, the names of accused police officials would be included later in that case as well. 

Top Brokers

About

Popular Links

x