Reliable Brokers
Online Investing
Alerts & Analysis
Easy Trading

Land dispute stalls Pagla River bridge, 400,000 people suffer

60% of Tk29.99 crore project completed as land acquisition dispute halts work for five months

Update : 23 Aug 2026, 08:55 PM

Construction of the 172.30-metre Bir Muktijoddha Dr Moin Uddin Ahmed Montu Bridge over the Pagla River in Shibganj upazila of Chapainawabganj has remained stalled for around five months due to  land acquisition dispute, causing severe hardship to nearly 400,000 people in three unions.

The Tk29.99 crore bridge is being constructed by the Local Government Engineering Department (LGED) under the Important Bridges on Rural Roads (Second Phase) project. Work began on November 15, 2023, and the bridge was scheduled to be completed by November 14 this year. However, only about 60% of the construction has been completed so far.

The delay has forced residents of Monakasha, Binodpur and Durlabhpur unions to depend on an ageing Bailey bridge. The narrow, single-lane bridge frequently experiences traffic congestion, particularly during school hours and on market days. Heavy vehicles were banned from using it about three years ago because of safety concerns, with brick barriers installed at its entrance.

The situation has increased transportation costs for local traders. Traders from Durlabhpur and Monakasha now have to travel through Kansat, adding 20 to 30 kilometres to their journeys.

“Shibganj market is only three kilometres away, but we now have to travel around 30 kilometres by truck to bring goods,” said Shahin Ali, a grocery shopkeeper in Durlabhpur.

Students are also suffering because of the congestion. A ninth-grade student of Shibganj Government Model High School said traffic jams often caused students to arrive late, with the problem becoming particularly serious during examinations.

Harun-or-Rashid, a resident of Bakruli-Bishwanathpur village in Monakasha, recalled being stuck in traffic for around 30 minutes while travelling to the district town for urgent work. He eventually walked about two kilometres to Shibganj town, but the person he had gone to meet had already left.

The main obstacle to the new bridge is the acquisition of land needed for its approach road. According to local residents, 2.65 acres of land were acquired during construction of the Bailey bridge in 1991-92. Additional land is now required for the new bridge.

The eviction process involving at least 14 families has begun but remains incomplete. The Shibganj upazila administration issued eviction notices in November 2023 and March 2024. The affected residents subsequently appealed to the Deputy Commissioner, seeking suspension of the process.

Durlabhpur Union Parishad Chairman Mohammad Golam Azam said the dispute mainly concerned the validity of land documents. While the administration says compensation cannot be paid because some residents lack valid documents, the affected families claim they possess the necessary papers.

Abdul Haque, one of those served with an eviction notice, said his family had lived in the area for years. “Where will we go without compensation or rehabilitation?” he asked.

Other affected residents, including Bayezid and Tohurul Islam, said they were willing to leave if alternative accommodation was arranged. Sumaiya Khatun said the families had submitted their documents but the administration had yet to determine the value of their land.

Construction has reportedly been halted several times. Initially, residents obstructed the work over allegations of irregularities, but construction resumed after an investigation. Later, heavy rainfall and flooding disrupted the project. Work is now suspended because of the land dispute and the monsoon.

Mohammad Sahin Alam, manager of the construction company, denied rumours that the contractor had fled. Contractor Abdul Mannan also rejected allegations of negligence or irregularities, saying the bridge could be completed by December 2026 if the land complications were resolved.

Shibganj Upazila Engineer Mohammad Sahinul Islam said a key pier in the middle of the river could not be constructed during the monsoon. He added that the approach-road land had not yet been handed over to LGED.

LGED Executive Engineer Harun-or-Rashid said officials had conducted an on-site assessment and submitted a report to the Deputy Commissioner's office. He said work could resume quickly once the land acquisition and eviction processes were completed.

With the original completion deadline approaching, residents fear that further delays will prolong their dependence on the ageing Bailey bridge, increasing transport costs and worsening daily hardships across the three unions.

Top Brokers