US President Donald Trump announced on Sunday that he ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” joint military exercises with South Korea.
Trump wrote on Truth Social that the annual exercises are not only costly but “send a signal that is totally inappropriate and hostile” to North Korea, which he said has been “unthreatening and respectful” to the United States.
His post comes as the US and South Korea are scheduled to begin one of their two main annual large-scale joint military exercises this week.
South Korea has been a major US ally, with their relations having endured through more than seven decades of political changes.
Trump noted that South Korea declined to help the US in actions against Iran and that he has a “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
“I recently asked the President of South Korea if they would like to join us in the Denuclearization of the Islamic Republic of Iran, and they said, ‘No thanks!’“ Trump wrote.
“Therefore, and based on the fact that it is too late to cancel, I have instructed Secretary of War, Pete Hegseth, to substantially reduce the Joint Military Exercises!” Trump said.
South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff told Reuters the drills started on Monday as scheduled, but the presidential Blue House said it was reviewing Trump’s comments.
“The government is closely following President Trump’s social media message today,” read a statement given to the AFP news agency.
It added a hope that Trump’s apparently “friendly relationship” with Kim Jong Un would lead to “meaningful dialogue between the two countries, opening discussions aimed at advancing peace and stability on the Korean Peninsula.”
The joint military exercises, called Ulchi Freedom Shield, are scheduled to run until August 27.
The drills involve 18,000 South Korean soldiers, the South Korean military told the Associated Press.
The exercises were expected to include operations to counter drones, disrupt GPS signals and defend against cyberattacks to adapt to North Korea’s evolving capabilities.
North Korea has also been aiding Russia in its war against Ukraine by providing troops.
Trump’s announcement comes days after North Korea reportedly fired ballistic missiles toward the sea.
Pyongyang last week threatened stern steps against the US and South Korea and called the summertime drills a “war rehearsal.”
North Korea routinely denounces joint military exercises between the US and South Korea as dress rehearsals for an invasion.


