Saturday, June 22, 2024

Section

বাংলা
Dhaka Tribune

Swiss return frozen $40m to Conmebol

The Swiss Office of the Attorney General had opened several criminal proceedings in connection with South American football officials

Update : 14 Oct 2020, 08:00 PM

Swiss authorities have seized around $40m in funds frozen in Swiss bank accounts amid football corruption investigations and are returning the money to South American soccer confederation Conmebol, federal prosecutors said Wednesday.

The Swiss Office of the Attorney General had opened several criminal proceedings in connection with South American football officials, including former Conmebol president Nicolas Leoz and former Secretary General Eduardo Deluca. 

Both were alleged to have abused their positions to unlawfully enrich themselves and perhaps others, the OAG said.

Swiss criminal proceedings against Leoz were abandoned after his death in August 2019, while Deluca was convicted by summary penalty order of complicity in multiple instances of aggravated criminal mismanagement.

Last month the OAG abandoned criminal proceedings against Deluca as well because Argentina was conducting an investigation in the same matter, the OAG said.


Top Brokers

About

Popular Links

x