Monday, June 17, 2024


Dhaka Tribune

Birdem doctors end strike

Update : 16 Apr 2014, 09:34 PM

The doctors of the Birdem hospital finally withdrew their ongoing work stoppage yesterday evening and went back to regular work.

The declaration came soon after Additional Police Super of Dhaka range ABM Masud Hossain was withdrawn and attached to the police headquarters. AKM Kamrul Ahsan, senior information officer of police headquarters, confirmed the news of removal.

When contacted, Professor Dr Nazmun Nahar, director general of the Birdem hospital, said the demonstrating doctors had gone back to work as one of their major demands had been met.

Birdem doctors went into a strike on Tuesday morning, protesting an alleged attack on three colleagues over the death of a patient on Sunday night.

However, the family of the deceased claimed that they did not assaulted any doctor but there had been a scuffle between them and the doctors over wrong treatment and negligence in duty.

The doctors stopped all kinds of services except at the ICU and CCU and to those who had already been admitted.

At a press briefing at the hospital’s auditorium yesterday morning, the doctors threatened that they would not go back to work until action was taken against the attackers.

During the strike many patients were seen waiting anxiously; some of them left the hospital after an agonising wait for treatment.

Just in front of ward 131 this correspondent met the relatives of patient Joynal Abedin. They were going to the account section of the hospital to get discharge clearance. Joynal said the doctor had told him to leave the hospital as they would not provide any treatment.

Visiting a couple of wards this correspondent saw only a few number of patients lying in hospital beds as most of the patients had either gone back home or taken admission to other hospitals.

On Tuesday, doctors said patient Sirajul Islam, the ex-president of the Press Club Employees’ Union, died at the endocrinology unit on April 13 despite proper treatment. After the death, 60-70 family members and friends of the patient vandalised hospital’s equipment.

Additional Police Super of Dhaka range ABM Masud Hossain and an ex-minister’s APS named SM Babu led the attack, which left doctors Anwar Hossain and Kalyan Debnath injured. The attackers also injured a female doctor, dragging her out of a washroom, the doctors claimed.

On the other hand, Sirajul’s daughter Farhana Nasreen at a press briefing said the doctors had staged the vandalism and “injury drama” to cover up their negligence and wrong treatment that caused her father’s death.

She also said the hospital authorities had wanted to negotiate with them on Tuesday, calling them over phone until 10am, so that they did not file any case against the doctors.

However, as the relatives refused to negotiate and announced to take legal action the doctors staged the drama.

Yesterday at the doctors’ press conference, Dr Firoz Pathan claimed that the allegation of wrong treatment or negligence was not correct. “Joynal Abedin had been my patient since 2010. He died from cardiac arrest,” he said.

Sirajul’s family members said they did not have any complaint against Dr Firoz.

“Anwar and Kalyan are interns. They did not consult with Dr Firoz when my father’s condition deteriorated that afternoon. They pumped oxygen manually, which caused his death. He was bleeding from the nose, which normally happens when someone dies from suffocation,” said Sirajul’s daughter Farhana. 

Top Brokers


Popular Links