Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Section

বাংলা
Dhaka Tribune

Rohingya camp fire originated from kitchen gas cylinder

At least 22,000 camp residents were affected directly by the fire, says the RRRC

Update : 05 Mar 2023, 09:40 PM

The devastating fire, that razed at least 2,000 houses, is believed to have originated from a kitchen gas cylinder at Rohingya camp in Cox's Bazar's Ukhiya upazila.

The incident occurred at Balukhali refugee camp no 11 around 2:40pm. Later, the fire spread to neighbouring Rohingya camps no 9, 10, and 12.

Cox's Bazar Refugee Relief and Repatriation Commissioner (RRRC) Mohammed Mizanur Rahman said: "The fire started from a house in camp no 11. Some 10 firefighting units went to the spot after receiving the news to douse the fire.” 

He said: ”Every house in the camp has a gas cylinder. Due to the explosion of these gas cylinders in the fire, the fire spread quickly and had to be brought under control. Some 2,000 houses in these camps were completely burnt and 22,000 residents were affected directly by the fire”.

Atish Chakma, Deputy Assistant Director of Cox's Bazar Fire Service, said that the fire was brought under control at 6pm. After three hours of effort, 10 firefighting units were able to douse the fire.

Gafur Uddin Chowdhury, chairman of Palangkhali UP of Ukhia, said that some of the helpless Rohingyas whose houses were burnt in the fire have taken shelter in the houses of their relatives.

“We have made arrangements for the rest homeless Rohingya temporarily at unoccupied schools and madrasas”, said the local UP chairman.

Top Brokers

About

Popular Links

x