Sunday, June 16, 2024


Dhaka Tribune

Tintin, Ricky rescued alive after four days

Update : 18 Apr 2014, 06:42 PM

The Joint Forces have rescued Sourav Deyya Chakma Tintin, a famous young musician, and another youth named Nabajit Chakma Ricky, alive – four days after they were abducted from Kengelchhari in the Manikchhari area of Rangamati for ransom.

They were rescued around 11:15pm on Friday and the law enforcers were transporting them to Rangamati when this report was prepared at 12:10am, sources close to the family of Tintin told the Dhaka Tribune, requesting anonymity.

Police said they had heard about the rescue operation but would not comment any further. “Until I see the victims, I cannot confirm the matter,” a high-ranked police official in Khagrachhari told the Dhaka Tribune.

It could not be confirmed immediately who had abducted the two. But locals suspect that alleged arms smuggler Rupendu Khisa aka Robi Chakma was behind the abduction.

Tintin and Ricky were picked up by unknown miscreants on April 14 evening while returning home on a CNG auto-rickshaw after celebrating the Biju, the biggest festival of some indigenous communities in Chittagong Hill Tracts, in Khagrachhari with friends. 

Later the abductors demanded $200,000 from Tintin’s family over the phone. However, it could not be confirmed immediately whether a ransom was paid for their release.

Ricky, a friend of Tintin, works at a private company in the capital.

Wishing not to be named, a number of locals from the Khagrachhari area told the Dhaka Tribune that Tintin was last seen with Rupendu.

On March 9 last year, Rupendu’s name was mentioned in a report published in Mizoram, India for his alleged involvement in arms smuggling.

The whereabouts of Rupendu is not known and his mobile phone has been switched off since the incident.

“We do not know who abducted them. We contacted the local political parties and the law enforcement agencies,” Tintin’s wife Trimita, a women’s rights activist and professional IT expert, earlier said.

Khagrachhari Police Superintendent Mizanur Rahman earlier confirmed that the Joint Forces had been dealing with the matter. 

Top Brokers


Popular Links