Thursday, June 13, 2024


Dhaka Tribune

CID: Diaz strangled to death says second autopsy report

Update : 30 Jul 2017, 10:20 PM
Eight months after the mysterious death of Bangladesh Chhatra League (BCL) central leader Diaz Irfan Chowdhury, investigators said on Sunday he was strangled to death, citing a second post-mortem report done by doctors of Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH). On November 23 last year, the first autopsy report, conducted by three doctors of the Forensic department of Chittagong Medical College Hospital (CMCH), said Diaz committed suicide by hanging himself. It said: “It is suicidal in nature case.” The report was prepared by Dr Zahidul Hasan, lecturer of Forensic medicine at CMCH.
Also Read - ‘Diaz committed suicide’
Diaz, the former joint secretary of the Chittagong University (CU) BCL unit and also assistant secretary of central BCL, was found dead in his flat near CU Gate No 2 area under Hathazari police station on November 20, 2016. Police recovered his hanging body from his bedroom but had yet to determine the reason behind his death. Talking to Dhaka Tribune, the Criminal Investigation Department (CID)’s senior assistant superintendent of police (ASP), also the investigation office (IO) of the case, said: “We have yet to receive the second autopsy report from the doctors, but they [the doctors] told me that ‘Diaz was strangled to death.’” “The revised medical report is scheduled to reach my office by Monday evening. It’s details will be disclosed after we read it,” the ASP added. DMCH Forensic department head Dr Shohel Mahmud conducted the second autopsy, exhuming Diaz’s body on December 11, 2016. Following the second post-mortem, Dr Shohel said injury marks were found on the body.
Also Read - Mystery shrouds BCL leader Diaz’s death
Hathazari Upazila Nirbahi Officer (UNO) Afsana Bilkis, who prepared the inquest report of Diaz during the incident mentioned, said three injury marks were found on the body, which she mentioned in the report. Three DMCH Forensic Department members came to Chittagong on January 1 and collected circumstantial evidence, visiting Diaz’s house and also speaking with the CMCH doctors who performed the first autopsy. After the recovery of the body, Diaz’s family members and fellow BCL men of the CU unit claimed that it was a premeditated murder by his rivals over a sensitive issue. However, the first post-mortem report, published on November 23 last year and conducted by the three CMCH doctors, said Diaz had committed suicide by hanging himself. Later a Chittagong court ordered a second autopsy be carried out on Diaz by three DMCH doctors following a case lodged by Diaz’s mother Amin Chowdhury, a CU employee.
Also Read - CID to seek time for Diaz ‘murder’ probe
Amin mentioned the names of 10 BCL leaders and activists of CU BCL unit and a teacher of CU Sociology department in the case, which the court ordered the CID to investigate and submit a report within 30 days. But CID later sought time from the court as the doctors could not release the second post-mortem report in time.
Top Brokers


Popular Links