Friday, June 21, 2024


Dhaka Tribune

Policeman’s wife held for ‘killing’ housemaid

Update : 18 Nov 2013, 11:43 AM

The wife of an additional superintendent of police was arrested on Monday for allegedly killing her 18-year-old domestic help by pushing her off from the rooftop of a building at Shewrapara of Kafrul in the capital.

Kazi Wazed Ali, OC of Kafrul police station, told the Dhaka Tribune that housemaid Reeta Akhter was found dead on the road in front of the building around 8:30am.

The OC said they had taken the body and detained housemistress Munni Begum at 2:00pm.

It took police so long to get hold of the body and pick up the alleged killer reportedly because of a protest that broke out after Reeta’s body was found.

Hundreds of outraged housemaids and local residents staged a demonstration for around five hours in the area during which they clashed with police and vandalised a police van.

Police had to hurl several rounds of teargas canisters to tame the angry mob. The situation came under control after police picked up Munni, 26, and assured of bringing her to justice.

Both Munni and Reeta were original residents of neighbouring villages in the Sunamganj district. Reeta, who used to serve Munni’s sister before, had been working there for three and a half months.

Munni’s husband ASP Kutub Uddin has been working in Sudan as part of the UN Peacekeeping Mission for one year. A number of local residents have alleged that Munni used to torture the housemaid and it was she who pushed Reeta off the rooftop.

A sub-inspector of the Kafrul police station said there had been injury marks on different parts of her body.

While talking to the Dhaka Tribune at the Kafrul police station later in the day, Munni denied killing Reeta.

She claimed that Reeta had committed suicide by jumping through the ventilator of a toilet in her house on the top floor of the eight-storey building.

When asked about the reason behind the “suicide”, Munni said: “Reeta might have followed the steps of another domestic help, who had recently committed suicide by jumping through the window of a nearby building.

“Reeta told me several times in the past that she wanted to kill herself,” Munni continued.

She also claimed that she had never tortured or misbehaved with Reeta.

However, it appeared to this correspondent, who had been to Munni’s house, that the ventilators of the toilets were too small and high for reaching and jumping through.

Police said the actual reason behind the death could be ascertained only after conducting autopsy on the body. However, the body was not sent to the morgue till filing the report at 8pm.

In the latest development, police has also arrested Munni's brother in this connection.  

Top Brokers


Popular Links