Sunday, June 16, 2024


Dhaka Tribune

Child's death during circumcision: HC slams probe report recommendations as ‘ridiculous’

  • Court says the recommendations were made to avoid liability 
  • February 11 set for next hearing
Update : 29 Jan 2024, 05:16 PM

The High Court (HC) on Tuesday termed the recommendations made in the probe report into the death of toddler Ayan Ahmed at United Medical College Hospital as “ridiculous” and “eyewash” 

A High Court bench of Justice Mustafa Zaman Islam and Justice Md Atabullah made the remarks. 

The court said such recommendations have been made to avoid liability. Even a heart bypass patient does not require so many medicines, which was given to the toddler Ayan during his circumcision.

The court added that medical negligence is a serious offense and fixed February 11 for the next hearing. 

On Sunday, the Director General of the Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS) submitted the 15-page probe report. 

The High Court later sought a list of patients who died at the hospitals of United Group due to medical negligence in the last 15 years.

According to the report submitted by DGHS, the child was given a nebulizer and inhaler in the waiting room before the circumcision surgery. This matter was not informed to the doctors. The report also mentioned that Ayan had normal bleeding during the surgery. 

In addition, the same report made four recommendations to avoid the risk of death during circumcision.

These are – appointing more than one anesthesiologist in the hospital, informing the patient and his relatives well about the risks of anesthesia and surgery, keeping the ICU system in the hospital, and starting the operation of the hospital after the approval of the government.

On December 31, Ayan’s family took him to United Medical College Hospital for circumcision. 

The doctors performed the surgery after allegedly putting him under general anaesthesia without permission. The child was later sent to United Hospital in Gulshan as he did not regain consciousness under the effects of anaesthesia. 

He was kept on life support in the pediatric intensive care unit there, where he would be declared dead on January 7.

Ayan's father, Shamim Ahmed, filed a case against two doctors, unnamed officials and a director of United Hospital and United Medical College Hospital in connection with Badda police station on January 9.

Top Brokers


Popular Links