Thursday, June 20, 2024

Section

বাংলা
Dhaka Tribune

Further explosion rocks Kallyanpur high-rise

Update : 29 May 2014, 10:12 PM

Another explosion took place at the basement of the 12-storey Mizan Tower in the capital’s Kallyanpur area yesterday evening, prompting the Rajdhani Unnayan Kartripakkha (Rajuk) authorities to declare the building unsafe fearing further explosions.

Witnesses said the second explosion took place roughly 24 hours after the first explosion on Wednesday evening.

Police evacuated the building after yesterday’s explosion, and Rajuk banned entrance to the building. Residents of the adjacent buildings were also asked to remain alert.

Abdul Mannan, member (planning) of Rajuk, said a five-member committee had been formed to assess the building’s structural condition, while experts from Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (Buet) had been requested to determine the next steps.

The committee’s report would decide whether the building was still inhabitable, he told the Dhaka Tribune.

Both the Rajuk committee and the Buet experts will start their investigations today, according to Mannan.

“We have asked police not to allow anybody to enter the building as further explosions may take place any time. Residents in the adjacent buildings have also been asked to stay alert as a cautionary measure.”

The Rajuk official said the explosions took place due to stagnant gas inside the sewerage lines that had not been cleaned for a long time.

The second explosion took place when personnel from Titas Gas were removing gas from the sewerage lines.

Abdul Alim, senior officer at Fire Service and Civil Defence station in Mohammadpur, said: “The second explosion happened around 12 feet away from the first explosion site. It shattered the glass panes of a restaurant on the building’s first floor.”

Immediately after the explosion, the Rajuk authorities declared Mizan Tower risky for residence, hours after they had declared it safe on Wednesday night.

Top Brokers

About

Popular Links

x