Sunday, April 21, 2024

Section

বাংলা
Dhaka Tribune

Dhaka considers foreign aid for Savar rehabilitation

Update : 30 Apr 2013, 12:57 PM

Despite a number of proposals from the US, UK and the UN, Bangladesh is still undecided over accepting foreign assistance in rescue efforts at “Rana Plaza”, the eight storey building that caved in at Savar last week claiming almost 400 lives.

However, the government is considering if it will accept help for the treatment and rehabilitation process of those who survived.

Information Minister Hasanul Haque Inu today at a press briefing at his ministry said, “We do not have any problem accepting their assistance for the treatment and rehabilitation of the victims. We will examine their proposals.”

Dan W Mozena, the US envoy in Bangladesh today expressed his government’s interest in helping the survivors’ treatment and rehabilitation, while attending different meetings with Law Minister Shafique Ahmed and Food Minister Abdur Razzaque

“He (the US envoy) said his government is awaiting Bangladesh’s response to receive their assistance to rehabilitate and cure the victims of Savar tragedy. They are ready to help Bangladesh so we can operate to rescue drive properly,” the law minister told reporters after the meeting with the US ambassador.

Regarding the proposal fromthe US government law minister said,“The government is yet to make a decision, but their proposal will be considered. The government will take decision as early as possible.”

“We do not need their help to operate the rescue drive as we have already recovered at least 2,823 people both dead and alive from the building. We are doing it efficiently. But, we will need assistance to rehabilitate and for better treatment of the victims, who were fatally injured,” he added.

Disaster Management and Relief Minister Abul Hassan and Food Minister Muhammad Abdur Razzaque denied making any comment over the proposal while talking to the Dhaka Tribune.

Top Brokers

About

Popular Links

x