Monday, June 17, 2024


Dhaka Tribune

Family sheltering Rahima Begum released from custody

They were released on Sunday night

Update : 26 Sep 2022, 05:02 PM

The family that was sheltering Rahima Begum, the Khulna woman reported missing for 29 days, has been released from police custody. 

Three members of Kuddus Biswas, a resident of Boalmari Union in Faridpur were arrested on Saturday when Rahima was discovered in their house. 

Kuddus’ wife Heera Begum, 50, son Al Amin Biswas, 25, and his sister-in-law Rahela Begum, 45, reached their house at around midnight on Sunday after being released from custody. 

Confirming the matter to Bangla Tribune, Al Amin said that the superintendent of police saw them off after being released. 

“We reached home at night. But my mother and aunt have fallen a little ill,” he said. 

On Saturday, law enforcers rescued Rahima from Kuddus Biswas’ house where she had been staying since September 17. 

Kuddus Biswas currently works at the Janata Jute Mill on Boalmari. 

According to his daughter Sumaya, he was a tenant of Rahima Begum when he used to work for a jute mill in Khulna. 

“My brother got to know about the issue regarding Rahima Begum from Facebook and Youtube. We contacted the two numbers listed by her daughter (Maryam Mannan) in her Facebook status,” she said. 

“One of the calls were answered by a woman who claimed to be the wife of Miraz, Rahima Begum’s son. When we informed her, she refused to talk about it and said to never call back in that number,” she added. 

Sumaya’s brother Al Amin grew suspicious of the matter and informed the local UP member Mosharraf Hossain who informed ward councillor Saiful Islam. 

Meanwhile, Rahima Begum claims she was abducted on August 27 by four people who held a napkin to her nose and made her senseless. 

She said that after a few days, her abductors gave her Tk1,000 and put her on a bus bound for Maksudpur where she stayed with relatives for a while. 

On September 17, she started staying at the house of Kuddus, a resident of Faridpur’s Boalmari union, from where she was rescued on Saturday. 

Her children claim that on August 27, at 10pm Rahima went missing while fetching water near her home in the Banikpara area.

They reportedly found her sandals, scarf and the pitcher she was carrying from the spot and reported it to the police. 

They later filed a case with Daulapur Police who arrested six people over the matter. 

Based on the turn of events, police say that she had been voluntarily hiding at an old tenant’s house for the last seven to 10 days. 

On Thursday, Rahima was presumed dead by her daughter Maryam Mannan. 

"I have just found my mother's body," Maryam Mannan, daughter of Rahima Begum, wrote in a Facebook post.

However, the Police Bureau of Investigation (PBI), Khulna's Daulatpur police station and Mymensingh police could not confirm the matter.

Maryam told the investigation officer she identified her mother's body by scrutinizing a photograph of the clothes she was wearing.

She also told Dhaka Tribune that they used to live in a rented house as her mother had a land dispute with some neighbours in Moheshhwerpasha area of Daulatpur.

She had filed a case in this regard, Maryam said, adding that as it was getting difficult for her to live in her own house in Mohesshwerpasha, she rented a house in Banikpara.

Maryam said their family came under attack after lodging the case repeatedly.

The daughter said her mother received life threats and the goons also threatened to rape her younger daughter, Maryam’s sister. 

As a result, her mother filed another case with Daulatpur police station.

Top Brokers


Popular Links