Sunday, June 16, 2024

Section

বাংলা
Dhaka Tribune

Coal shortage compels to shut down Banshkhali power plant

Power general began on May 24 on a trial basis

Update : 10 Jun 2023, 04:16 PM

The SS Power Plant built under private enterprise in Banshkhali of Chittagong has been closed for the last two days since Thursday. 

Officials of the company said that the power plant was shut down on Thursday night due to coal shortage.

They could not say anything specific about when the plant would be reopened. This power plant, the largest one of the private sector, showed some hope in the loadshedding situation in Bangladesh. 

However, some are considering the sudden closure a difficult situation for the power sector.

According to power plant sources, the SS Power Plant owned by the industrial group “S Alam Group” has the capacity to produce 1,320MW of electricity in two units of 660 MW each.

Power general began in the power plant on May 24 on trial basis.

Coordinator of SS Power Plant Faruk Ahmed said: "On May 24, power generation started in unit number one of the power plant on an experimental basis. The coal for power generation is out of stock now. Due to this, the power plant was closed on Thursday night. 

When coal arrives, the power plant will be started in full swing, he said.

Chief Engineer of Chittagong Electricity Distribution Department Md Rezaul Karim said: "SS Power Plant is closed from Thursday night, although the power plant was started experimentally. In the meantime it has been closed due to the coal crisis. About 400 MW of electricity was supplied to the national grid periodically from unit number one of the plant.”

The official also said: “It is not possible to say exactly when the plant will be operational.”

SS Power One Limited is a company established under joint venture of Bangladesh and China.

Total investment amount of the plant is about 2.6 billion dollars.

Besides, 70% of the company is owned by S Alam Group of Bangladesh, while the remaining 30% is owned by the Chinese company Sepco 3.

Top Brokers

About

Popular Links

x