BNP Acting Secretary General and Prime Minister's Political Adviser Ruhul Kabir Rizvi has said the government is not responsible for the ongoing energy crisis, which he attributed to the war and a defect at an LNG terminal in Maheshkhali.
He said the terminal has already been repaired and gas supply has started returning to normal.
Rizvi made the remarks while speaking to journalists after paying tribute to BNP founder Ziaur Rahman and former prime minister Khaleda Zia at their graves in Sher-e-Bangla Nagar on Sunday morning.
Prime minister's newly appointed Political Adviser Zahir Uddin Swapan and other BNP leaders and activists were present at the time.
Rizvi said LNG cargoes had already arrived in the country, increasing gas supply and pressure. As a result, load shedding has also decreased, he added.
He said the expired committees of various BNP-affiliated organisations would be dissolved and new committees formed.
"New leadership will soon take charge of these organisations. This process will continue," Rizvi said.
The BNP acting secretary general said the government was trying to maintain social security for the people despite the ongoing crisis.
"The government will also remain accountable to the people through the media to ensure transparency in all its activities," he said.