The government has not backed away from its commitment to implement the agreed July National Charter and remains committed to fulfilling the pledges made to the people, Prime Minister’s Political Adviser and BNP Standing Committee Member Nazrul Islam Khan said on Monday.
“We have always said the document on which we all agreed represents the people’s mandate,” he said while responding to questions from journalists at a press interaction marking the government’s 180 days in office.
Nazrul said the July Charter itself provides a mechanism for addressing differences of opinion, including notes of dissent submitted by different political parties.
“Those who have given notes of dissent were supposed to mention them in their election manifestos and place them before the people. If the people support those positions, they can implement them accordingly,” he said.
“We have not moved away from our position. We remain committed to the promises we made to you,” the BNP leader said.
He said representatives of almost all major political parties signed the July National Charter in the presence of the people at the South Plaza of Parliament.
“I believe the value of such a document is greatest for a political party because it was signed before the people,” Nazrul said.
He said the charter clearly recognized the possibility of differences over various issues and left it to the people to determine whether such positions were acceptable.
“If a party has given a note of dissent on an issue, the charter says that it should mention that position in its election manifesto and seek a mandate from the people. If it receives that mandate, it can implement the position accordingly,” the BNP leader said.
“Why are you moving away from this position?” he asked the opposition parties.
On the country’s ongoing energy crisis, Nazrul said the government has taken various measures to address the immediate challenges and is preparing a long-term plan.
“The government is taking various steps to overcome the crisis. We are also preparing a long-term plan, which will be made public,” he said.
The BNP leader also criticized the previous government over what he described as widespread irregularities and mismanagement in the energy sector.
Rizvi: Most top criminals freed during interim govt
On the release of militant leaders and top criminals from prison after August 5, 2024, Prime Minister’s Political Adviser Ruhul Kabir Rizvi said most of those individuals had been released during the tenure of the interim government.
“Most of those you are referring to were released from prisons during the interim government. Many of them have left the country and are carrying out activities from abroad,” he said.
The BNP leader said the relevant ministries and agencies are aware of the matter and have already begun taking necessary measures.
“You have already seen, for example, that Jungle Salimpur has been made crime-free. More such developments will gradually become visible,” Rizvi said.
Shahe Alam: Five local govt elections to be held this fiscal year
State Minister for Local Government, Rural Development and Co-operatives Mir Shahe Alam said the government is committed to holding five types of local government elections during the current fiscal year.
The elections will cover city corporations, municipalities, upazila parishads, district councils and union parishads, he said, adding that around Tk 6,000 crore will be required to conduct the elections.
“The money has already been allocated in the current fiscal year’s budget and the Election Commission is preparing for the polls,” Shahe Alam said.
Once the preparations are complete, the Election Commission, Local Government Division and the Finance Division will jointly decide the sequence of the elections, he said.
“But you can be assured that five types of local government elections will be completed within the current fiscal year, InshaAllah,” the state minister said.
The press interaction was held at the International Conference Centre “Shapla” at the Prime Minister’s Office in Tejgaon to mark the government’s 180 days in office.
Before the question-and-answer session, PMO spokesperson Mahdi Amin presented a detailed overview of the government’s activities and achievements during its first 180 days.
The meeting was moderated by Prime Minister’s Press Secretary Saleh Shibly. Information and Broadcasting Minister Zahir Uddin Swapon and Additional Press Secretary Atikur Rahman Rumon also spoke.
State Minister for Information and Broadcasting Yasser Khan Choudhury, Foreign Affairs Adviser Humaiun Kobir, Information and Broadcasting Adviser Zahed Ur Rahman, PM’s Special Assistant for Health SM Ziauddin Hyder, PM’s Special Assistant for Environment, Forests and Climate Change Saimum Parvez and Chief Coordinator of the Prime Minister’s Office Prof SM Abdul-Awal, among others, were present.