• Friday, Jul 10, 2020
  • Last Update : 03:32 pm

Pregnant elephant killed with firecrackers in a vicious act of animal cruelty

  • Published at 11:29 am June 3rd, 2020
Pregnant Elephant Death
File photo: The injured elephant walked up to the river and died standing Collected from Facebook

The wild elephant had left the forest and wandered into a nearby village in Kerala's Malappuram in search of food. Locals offered her a pineapple filled with firecracker

An elephant that was pregnant died in Kerala last Wednesday in a horrific act of animal cruelty by locals.

The incident came to light when a forest officer in northern Kerala's Malappuram district narrated the details of the horrific death on social media, reports Ndtv.

The wild elephant had left the forest and wandered into a nearby village in Kerala's Malappuram in search of food. She was offered a pineapple filled with firecracker by the locals.

The fruit exploded in her mouth, leading to the horrific tragedy.

"She trusted everyone. When the pineapple she ate exploded, she must have been shocked not thinking about herself, but about the child she was going to give birth to in 18 to 20 months," wrote Forest Officer Mohan Krishnan, who was part of the Rapid Response Team to rescue the elephant, on Facebook.

The explosion from the cracker was powerful, leaving her tongue and mouth badly injured. The helpless animal walked around the village in pain and hunger, unable to eat anything due to her injuries.

"She didn't harm a single human being even when she ran in searing pain in the streets of the village. She didn't crush a single home. This is why I said, she is full of goodness," said an emotional Krishnan.

Eventually, the elephant walked up to the Velliyar river and stood there with her mouth and trunk in water, perhaps for some relief from the unbearable pain.

The forest officials brought two captive elephants to lead her out of the water but the injured elephant refused to leave.

After hours of attempts to rescue the elephant, she finally died at 4 pm on May 27, standing in water.

She was taken back inside the forest in a truck, where the forest officials cremated her.

"She needs to be given the farewell she deserves. For that, we took her inside the forest in a lorry. She lay there on firewood, in the land she played and grew up. The doctor who did her post-mortem told me that she was not alone. I could sense his sadness though the expression on his face was not visible due to his mask. We cremated her in a pyre there. We bowed before her and paid our last respects," the forest officer said.

blogger sharing button blogger
buffer sharing button buffer
diaspora sharing button diaspora
digg sharing button digg
douban sharing button douban
email sharing button email
evernote sharing button evernote
flipboard sharing button flipboard
pocket sharing button getpocket
github sharing button github
gmail sharing button gmail
googlebookmarks sharing button googlebookmarks
hackernews sharing button hackernews
instapaper sharing button instapaper
line sharing button line
linkedin sharing button linkedin
livejournal sharing button livejournal
mailru sharing button mailru
medium sharing button medium
meneame sharing button meneame
messenger sharing button messenger
odnoklassniki sharing button odnoklassniki
pinterest sharing button pinterest
print sharing button print
qzone sharing button qzone
reddit sharing button reddit
refind sharing button refind
renren sharing button renren
skype sharing button skype
snapchat sharing button snapchat
surfingbird sharing button surfingbird
telegram sharing button telegram
tumblr sharing button tumblr
twitter sharing button twitter
vk sharing button vk
wechat sharing button wechat
weibo sharing button weibo
whatsapp sharing button whatsapp
wordpress sharing button wordpress
xing sharing button xing
yahoomail sharing button yahoomail