• Monday, Jan 20, 2020
  • Last Update : 01:16 pm

Indian rape victim dies after suffering burn injuries

  • Published at 12:30 pm December 7th, 2019
File photo: Supporters of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) hold candles and a banner as they participate in a candle light procession calling for justice following the recent rape and murder case of a 27-year-old veterinarian in Hyderabad, in Siliguri on November 30, 2019 AFP

The rape victim was set ablaze by a gang of men, including the alleged rapists

The rape victim from Unnao district of India's Uttar Pradesh, who was set on fire on her way to court, has died at the Safdarjung Hospital in Delhi, after hours of struggle for her life.

The 23-year-old woman died at the Delhi hospital on Friday night.

"She [the Unnao rape victim] suffered a cardiac arrest at 11:10 pm and we tried to resuscitate her, but she could not survive and at 11:40 pm, she died," the Sardurjung Hospital spokesperson confirmed, reports India Today.

The rape victim was set ablaze by five men, including the two who were accused of gang-raping her in 2018, outside the Sindupur village in the Unnao district of northern India. File photo: Activists, supporters shout slogans to protest against the alleged rape, murder of a veterinary doctor in Hyderabad, during a demonstration in Bangalore on December 2, 2019 | AFPShe was on her way to court to attend a hearing in the rape case on Thursday, police said.

Following the barbaric incident, she was immediately taken to a Lucknow hospital with 90% burns and later airlifted to Safdarjung Hospital in New Delhi for further treatment.

According to India Today, the victim’s last words before her demise were a plea for justice. She begged to be saved and urged that the men who had done this to her must be hanged to death. Her brother and father also demanded the death penalty for the men who had committed this heinous crime. 

Police documents seen by Reuters showed the woman had filed a complaint with Unnao police in March alleging that she had been raped at gun-point on December 12, 2018.

Having been subsequently jailed, the prime accused was released last week after securing bail, police officer SK Bhagat said in Lucknow.

All five men have been detained, Uttar Pradesh police said in a tweet, reports Reuters.

During the past week, thousands of Indians have protested in several cities following the alleged rape and murder of a 27-year-old vet near the southern city of Hyderabad.

Protesters and parliamentarians are pressing for courts to fast-track rape cases and demanding tougher penalties.