• Tuesday, Sep 25, 2018
  • Last Update : 11:05 pm

Assam Congress-in-charge criticizes BJP over NRC

  • Published at 07:37 pm August 30th, 2018
Assam NRC list
File Photo: Ayub Salm holds the draft list of the National Register of Citizens (NRC) of his family in Dhubri district, in the northeastern state of Assam, India August 2, 2018 Reuters

Congress-in-charge for Assam stated that instead of doing something for genuine citizens, BJP is creating confusion

Harish Rawat, Congress-in-charge for Assam, has said the BJP is attempting the polarization of voters by creating confusion over the National Register of Citizens (NRC).

He was speaking to reporters in Assam’s Tinsukia district on Wednesday.

Harish said: “Draw a comparison between the statements issued by two of the tallest BJP leaders – National President Amit Shah, on the Rajya Sabha floor, declared that all persons whose names have been excluded from the draft NRC are illegal immigrants.

“While Home Minister Rajnath Singh claimed not a single genuine citizen will be left out of the final NRC list.”

Rawat stated that instead of doing something for genuine citizens, BJP is creating confusion.

The Congress-in-charge said, “The NRC process is far from over as the claims and objection process is yet to be completed. ”

He then said: “Who is Amit Shah to declare four million people to be excluded from the NRC? Are the Bengali Hindus, Nepalese settled in Assam before 1971, and people from Jharkhand, Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, and Rajasthan, illegal immigrants?”

Harish said Congress completed 80% of the NRC work and the BJP messed up the remaining 20% in such a manner that a large number of genuine citizens have been excluded from the list.

“Tell us how many illegal immigrants has the BJP pushed back in the past four-and-a-half years? 1200? The Congress sent back 84,000 immigrants during 10 years of its regime,” said Rawat.