• Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018
  • Last Update : 02:50 am

US official: There will be no changes to H-1B visa policy

  • Published at 07:26 pm January 9th, 2018
US official: There will be no changes to H-1B visa policy

The Donald Trump-led United States administration has said it will not change its non-immigrant permit or H-1B visa policy, Hindustan Times reported. A change could have forced the deportation of thousands of migrants.

The statement by the US department follows reports that the Trump administration was considering imposing restrictions on providing extensions to H-1B visa holders.

“…US Citizenship and Immigration Services is not considering a regulatory change that would force H-1B visa holders to leave the United States by changing our interpretation of section 104(c) of AC-21, which provides for H-1B extensions beyond the 6 year limit,” said US Citizenship and Immigration Services Chief of Media Relations John Withington.

“Even if it were, such a change would not likely result in these H-1B visa holders having to leave the United States because employers could request extensions in one-year increments,” Withington added.

The statement comes after last week's news report by US based news agency McClatchy DC Bureau according to which the US was considering new regulations to prevent the extension of H-1B visas, the most sought after by IT professionals.

The H-1B programme offers temporary US visas that allow companies to hire highly skilled foreign professionals working in areas with shortages of qualified American workers.

Since taking office last January, the Trump administration has been talking about cracking down on the H- 1B visa scheme. During his election campaign, Trump promised to increase oversight of H-1B and L-1 visa programmes to prevent its abuse.

The Trump administration is considering several policy revisions to align with the president’s “Buy American, Hire American” order.