• Saturday, Nov 17, 2018
  • Last Update : 02:05 am

Venezuela arrests two top opposition leaders

  • Published at 08:49 pm August 1st, 2017
Venezuela arrests two top opposition leaders

The Venezuelan intelligence service arrested two prominent opposition leaders early Tuesday, their relatives said, a day after a vote to choose a much-condemned assembly that supersedes parliament.

Leopoldo Lopez and Antonio Ledezma were both already under house arrest when they were picked up by the intelligence service known by its in acronym Sebin, the wife of Lopez and children of Ledezma said separately.

The two men are Venezuela's most high profile opposition leaders. Both had called for a boycott of Sunday's vote for a so-called and all-powerful constituent assembly tasked with rewriting the constitution.

Both of their families said they held President Nicolas Maduro, the driving force behind the vote, responsible for the leaders' lives.

"They just took Leopoldo away. We do not know where he is or where they are taking him," Lopez's wife Lilian Tintori said on Twitter.

She released home security camera footage in which four uniformed police officers and three in civilian garb are seen putting her husband into a Sebin car and take off, with other cars escorting them.

The children of Ledezma – named Victor, Vanessa and Antonietta – also said on Twitter that the Sebin had taken away their father.

Opposition leaders and local media posted cellphone footage of Ledezma being taken away from his home forcibly while still wearing pajamas.

Lopez, 46, was transferred to house arrest in July of this year after serving three years and five months in prison as part of a 14-year term. He had been convicted of instigating violence during protests against Maduro in 2014 that left 43 people dead.

Ledezma, 62, was arrested in February 2015 on charges of conspiracy and racketeering and was placed under house arrest three months later for health reasons.

Opposition lawmaker Freddy Guevara said the arrests were aimed at "frightening us and demoralising us."

Four months of street demonstrations against Maduro have left 120 people dead, including 10 over the weekend that included the election.

The opposition says the vote was a fraudulent ploy by Maduro to cling to power because, it argues, he is so unpopular he could not win an election. The next one is scheduled for 2018.

The new constituent assembly is to start working on Wednesday. It is made up only of members of Maduro's Socialist party. The opposition has called a big rally for that day.