• Sunday, Apr 18, 2021
  • Last Update : 08:16 am

UK halts Oxfam funding over new sexual exploitation claims

  • Published at 09:08 pm April 8th, 2021
Oxfam
'Oxfam' signage is pictured outside a high street branch of an Oxfam charity shop in south London on February 17, 2018 AFP

Whistleblowers at Oxfam had been raising concerns about alleged misconduct in the aid mission to DR Congo since 2015

The British government said on Thursday it had suspended funding for Oxfam after the aid charity suspended two staff members in the Democratic Republic of Congo over claims of sexual misconduct and bullying.

"All organizations bidding for UK aid must meet the high standards of safeguarding required to keep the people they work with safe," a Foreign Office spokesperson said in a statement.

"Given the most recent reports which call into question Oxfam's ability to meet those standards, we will not consider any new funding to Oxfam until the issues have been resolved." 

The charity, which works in 67 countries, said on Friday that it had suspended the two staff members as part of an external investigation that began in November.

It said this was over "allegations of abuses of power, including bullying and sexual misconduct."

Oxfam said it had reported this to the Foreign Office and Charity Commission, a government department that regulates charities.

In response to the suspension of UK funding, an Oxfam spokesperson said "we will continue to keep them informed as the investigation concludes its work."

The Times newspaper reported on Friday that whistleblowers at Oxfam had been raising concerns about alleged misconduct in the aid mission to DR Congo since 2015.

The anti-poverty charity was hit by a major scandal in 2018 over the way it handled staff in Haiti who admitted using prostitutes.

Its chief executive quit after it emerged that several of the aid workers in Haiti deployed following a 2010 earthquake were allowed to quit, including the then country director.

In March, Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab allowed Oxfam to re-apply for government funds for the first time in three years after the Charity Commission said it had made "significant strides" in safeguarding since the Haiti scandal. 

Oxfam had been receiving some $41 million in state funds annually.

Oxfam announced in 2020 that it was closing 18 offices and cutting nearly 1,500 jobs due to a drop in funding linked to the coronavirus pandemic.

Oxfam says its work in DR Congo includes providing clean water and education on preventing Ebola transmission.

50
Facebook 50
blogger sharing button blogger
buffer sharing button buffer
diaspora sharing button diaspora
digg sharing button digg
douban sharing button douban
email sharing button email
evernote sharing button evernote
flipboard sharing button flipboard
pocket sharing button getpocket
github sharing button github
gmail sharing button gmail
googlebookmarks sharing button googlebookmarks
hackernews sharing button hackernews
instapaper sharing button instapaper
line sharing button line
linkedin sharing button linkedin
livejournal sharing button livejournal
mailru sharing button mailru
medium sharing button medium
meneame sharing button meneame
messenger sharing button messenger
odnoklassniki sharing button odnoklassniki
pinterest sharing button pinterest
print sharing button print
qzone sharing button qzone
reddit sharing button reddit
refind sharing button refind
renren sharing button renren
skype sharing button skype
snapchat sharing button snapchat
surfingbird sharing button surfingbird
telegram sharing button telegram
tumblr sharing button tumblr
twitter sharing button twitter
vk sharing button vk
wechat sharing button wechat
weibo sharing button weibo
whatsapp sharing button whatsapp
wordpress sharing button wordpress
xing sharing button xing
yahoomail sharing button yahoomail