• Thursday, Jun 20, 2019
  • Last Update : 11:02 am

Bangladeshi Islamic State supporter jailed for 7 years in UK

  • Published at 10:55 pm February 27th, 2018
  • Last updated at 01:07 am March 2nd, 2018
Bangladeshi Islamic State supporter jailed for 7 years in UK
A Bangladeshi man who propagated support for the Islamic State terrorist group on social media has been jailed for seven years by a UK court. Mohammed Kamal Hussain, a Bangladesh national who had overstayed his student visa and was living in the UK illegally since 2014, was sentenced at Kingston Crown Court on Monday after a jury found him guilty of two counts of encouraging terrorism and one count of supporting a proscribed organization. The 28-year-old sent thousands of messages aiming to generate support for Islamic State using Facebook, WhatsApp and the Telegram messaging service. Police swooped on Kamal after a man who lives outside the UK emailed the UK Home Office in March 2017, saying he had received a Facebook message from a stranger inviting him to join Islamic State. The judge praised the individual from Bosnia for informing the UK government. Commander Dean Haydon, head of the Metropolitan Police’s Counter Terrorism Command, said: “This investigation started with one conscientious individual trusting his instincts and reporting something suspicious. “He could have ignored the message Hussain sent him but instead he took a screenshot of the message and contacted the UK authorities immediately. It is in great part thanks to him that police were able to bring Hussain to justice.” Mohammed Kamal Hussain was tracked down by the UK’s Counter Terrorism Internet Referral Unit, which specialises in identifying and seeking the removal of terrorist material. Haydon added: “We know from the disturbing material we found on his devices that he supported Islamic State. “The material included videos of barbaric Islamic State violence and warped reasoning for killing people, including children and Muslims.” Kamal, a mobile phone worker based in east London, was arrested in June last year following the Met Police investigation.   This article was first published on banglatribune.com