The gunman who killed 39 people at an Istanbul nightclub had fought in Syria for Islamic State terrorist, a report said on Tuesday, as Turkish authorities intensified their hunt for the attacker.
Police released pictures of the suspect who went on the rampage at the plush Reina nightclub on New Year's night, spraying some 120 bullets at terrified guests before slipping away into the night. Of the 39 dead, 27 were foreigners, mainly from Arab countries, with coffins repatriated overnight to countries including Lebanon and Saudi Arabia.
The Islamic State group on Monday claimed the massacre, the first time it has clearly stated being behind a major attack in Turkey. The government said Monday that eight people had been detained but media reports said the number had increased to 12 after new detentions in the Anatolian city of Konya.
The Dogan news agency said they included a woman suspected of being his wife but gave no further details.
Suspect behind #Istanbul attack reported to be Iakhe Mashrapov, 28 years old from #Kyrgyzstan. Entered #Turkey in November, stayed in #Konya pic.twitter.com/ce3JUfA99M — Mark Lowen (@marklowen) January 3, 2017
Police meanwhile released the first clear images of the attacker, including one taken by security cameras on the night of the attack.
Meanwhile a chilling video of the suspect taken near Taksim Square in central Istanbul was released, showing him recording himself with a selfie stick and smiling faintly into the camera.
It was not made immediately clear how the footage had been obtained.
Media reports have said the gunman may be from the Central Asian states of Kyrgyzstan or Uzbekistan.
In a statement circulated on social media, the jihadist group said one of the "soldiers of the caliphate" had carried out the Reina shooting.
It accused Turkey, a majority-Muslim country, of being a servant of Christians and the attack was in response to Turkey's military intervention against the jihadists in war-ravaged Syria.
Turkish troops are pressing on with a four-month incursion to oust IS jihadists the border area while Turkey is also spearheading a ceasefire plan with Russia to form a basis for peace talks on Syria.
The shooting took place just 75 minutes into 2017 after a bloody year in Turkey in which hundreds of people were killed in violence blamed on both IS jihadists and Kurdish militants.
After a cabinet meeting in Ankara chaired by President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, the government vowed that the operation in Syria, dubbed Euphrates Shield, would continue with "determination".