Another 28 people who were injured in the attack had been admitted to hospital without giving details on their condition
The death toll from a bomb and gun attack by Islamist militants on an upmarket hotel complex in Nairobi has risen to 21, Kenya's police chief said Wednesday.
"We wish to inform that, as of this evening... six other bodies were found at the scene and one police officer succumbed very suddenly to his injuries," Joseph Boinnet told reporters.
He said the death included 16 Kenyans, one Briton, one American and three people of "African descent who are yet to be identified."
Another 28 people who were injured in the attack had been admitted to hospital without giving details on their condition, reports AFP.
Kenyan security forces ended the attack early Wednesday after a 20-hour operation that rescued hundreds of people and left all five assailants dead, Boinnet had announced earlier.
19 missing accounted for
Nineteen people still missing two days after a Somali militant attack on a Nairobi hotel and office complex that killed 21 people are now accounted for, the Kenyan Red Cross said on Thursday.
Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta said on Wednesday evening that a 20-hour siege had ended with security forces killing all the Somali militants who had stormed the hotel complex, forcing hundreds of people into terrifying escapes, reports Reuters.
Late on Wednesday, the Red Cross had said it had yet to account for 19 of 94 people it had been tracing. "All 94 cases have been closed positively as of now," it said in a statement at 12:30pm, 0930 GMT on Thursday, giving no further detail.
Al Shabaab, a Somalia-based al Qaeda affiliate fighting to impose strict Islamic law, said it carried the assault on the upscale dusitD2 compound over US President Donald Trump's decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capital.