Interpol issued a red notice against six people who were involved in human trafficking
Two human traffickers have been arrested two months after a red notice was issued by Interpol against six fugitives for trafficking humans to Libya.
The arrested are Iqbal Zafar and Shahadat Hossain. Although Iqbal Zafar was arrested in Italy, Shahadat Hossain was arrested at Dhaka Airport.
The movement of the other fugitives is being tracked, reports Bangla Tribune.
The Senior Assistant Superintendent of Organized Crime unit of Criminal Investigation Department (CID) confirmed the matter on Friday.
According to CID, Shahadat Hossain was arrested at Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport while entering Bangladesh from Dubai. On the other hand, the arrest of Iqbal Zafar in the Italian city of Cosenza has been confirmed.
The concerned branch of the police will start the process of bringing him back to the country very soon.
On May 28 last year, 26 Bangladeshis were killed in a camp in the town of Mizdah, 180 kilometers from the Libyan capital Tripoli. Another 12 people were injured in the incident.
There have been 26 cases in Bangladesh regarding this incident. Of these, 25 cases are being investigated by the Criminal Investigation Department (CID).
At the request of CID, the National Central Bureau of Police (NCB) of Bangladesh Police recommended issuing the red notice to Interpol.
The NCB says it has been almost two months since the red notice was issued. Two people have already been arrested. The rest are being monitored.
The other four fugitives in Libya are Tanjirul, Swapan, Nazrul Islam Mollah and Mintu Mia. Among them Nazrul is from Madaripur and the other three are from Kishoreganj, states the Interpol notice.
All of them have been charged with human trafficking, extortion and even murder.
The CID says that countless Bangladeshi youths fall into the traps of middlemen while trying to enter Italy via Libya.
After collecting large sums of money, the brokers send them off on a flimsy wooden boat from Libya to Italy in the Mediterranean sea. They call this work “gaming.” Most of the youth die on the way.
The people against whom the red notice has been issued are the perpetrators of this gaming. At least 20 more perpetrators have been identified. Once detailed information is obtained, the process of issuing red notices against them will also begin, the CID said.
Senior Assistant Superintendent of Police Jisanul Haque of the CID’s Organized Crime Unit said: “There have been 26 cases in the country in this regard. The CID is investigating 25 of these cases.
"The number of accused in the FIR is 299. So far, 171 people have been arrested among whom 42 have already given confessional statements.”