At some point after the man went out to pick up his partner, the candles he lit for decoration in his home caught fire
A man’s wedding proposal plan turned into a catastrophe as candles used for the occasion set their apartment on fire.
The British man, who has not been named, was planning to propose to his girlfriend, reports NDTV.
Decorations for the planned proposal included hundreds of tea lights, balloons and wine poured into glasses in his apartment.
At some point after he went out to pick up his partner, the candles he lit for decoration caught fire.
The man returned home with his girlfriend to find his apartment on fire and three fire engines on the way, according to South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue.
The fire department shared photos of the scene on Facebook, writing: "Look closely at these photos and you'll see lots of burnt out tea lights. Hundreds of them."
The photos have since gone viral on social media, collecting a host of reactions.
"The budget of the stag do was cut significantly. He pays for refurbishment instead," wrote one person in the comments section.
"And they say falling in love isn't dangerous ... he found his eternal flame," wrote another.
Thankfully, nobody was injured in the incident and the girlfriend did say yes.