• Tuesday, Jul 14, 2020
  • Last Update : 04:38 am

Coronavirus: Global cases see downward trend

  • Published at 03:46 pm May 26th, 2020
coronavirus-generic-the virus
File Photo: People wearing protective masks make their way during rush hour on the first working day after the Golden Week holiday amid the coronavirus disease (Covid-19) outbreak, at Shinagawa station in Tokyo, Japan, May 7, 2020 Reuters

The number of daily cases fell by almost 7% on Monday, compared to Sunday

The world has witnessed a downward trend in the figures of new daily cases from the coronavirus for the second day, since May 24. 

According to Worldometer, a total of 89,812 Covid-19 cases across the world were recorded on Monday, taking the total number of Covid-19 cases to 5,601,285.

The number of daily cases fell by almost 7% on Monday compared to Sunday. This marks a fall of 6,693 compared to the previous day, which saw 96,505 new cases.

The highest daily rise so far was reported on May 22, with 107,521 cases from Covid-19 in a 24-hour period. Monday's total cases were decreased by 16.5% from that day.

A week ago, on May 18, the number of new cases worldwide was 88,858 and a week before that on May 11, it was 74,193.

Till now, the number of active cases stands at 2,871,881.

Of the active cases, 2,818,715 (98%) were identified to be in mild condition while the rest 53,166 (2%) have been marked as serious or critical.

At the same time, 2,381,278 people from across the world have recovered fully from the infection or were discharged from treatment – which was 87% of cases which had an outcome.

The Covid-19 pandemic has claimed 348,126 lives since its discovery in December 2019 – which was 13% of cases which had an outcome.

In January, China effectively shut down Wuhan and placed its 11 million residents in effective quarantine after the novel coronavirus infection turned into outbreak.

The virus is thought to have emerged in a Wuhan market illegally trading wildlife. It can cause pneumonia, respiratory diseases, among others, and spreads between people in droplets from coughs and sneezes.

Till now, coronavirus or Covid-19 has affected 213 countries and territories around the world.

59
59
blogger sharing button blogger
buffer sharing button buffer
diaspora sharing button diaspora
digg sharing button digg
douban sharing button douban
email sharing button email
evernote sharing button evernote
flipboard sharing button flipboard
pocket sharing button getpocket
github sharing button github
gmail sharing button gmail
googlebookmarks sharing button googlebookmarks
hackernews sharing button hackernews
instapaper sharing button instapaper
line sharing button line
linkedin sharing button linkedin
livejournal sharing button livejournal
mailru sharing button mailru
medium sharing button medium
meneame sharing button meneame
messenger sharing button messenger
odnoklassniki sharing button odnoklassniki
pinterest sharing button pinterest
print sharing button print
qzone sharing button qzone
reddit sharing button reddit
refind sharing button refind
renren sharing button renren
skype sharing button skype
snapchat sharing button snapchat
surfingbird sharing button surfingbird
telegram sharing button telegram
tumblr sharing button tumblr
twitter sharing button twitter
vk sharing button vk
wechat sharing button wechat
weibo sharing button weibo
whatsapp sharing button whatsapp
wordpress sharing button wordpress
xing sharing button xing
yahoomail sharing button yahoomail