• Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020
  • Last Update : 12:32 am

Coronavirus: Daily death toll holding steady

  • Published at 10:00 am April 4th, 2020
medical staf-novel coronavirus disease of COVID-19 in Yeungnam University Medical Center in Daegu, South Korea,
File photo: Medical staff in protective gear work at a 'drive-thru' testing center for the novel coronavirus disease of Covid-19 in Yeungnam University Medical Center in Daegu, South Korea, March 3, 2020 Reuters

The global death toll has now crossed 59,000

With countries enforcing lockdowns and other measures to put a stop to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, the world has witnessed a minor upward trend of new deaths from the deadly disease.

The global death toll has now crossed 59,000.

According to worldometer, 5,973 new coronavirus deaths were recorded on Friday, taking the total number of Covid-19 deaths across the world to 59,160.

A total of 5,974 people had died on the previous day.

A week ago, on March 28, the number of new deaths worldwide was 3,518, and a week before that, on March 21, it was 1,625.

Till now, the number of active cases stands at 810,371.

Of the active cases, 770,980 (95%) were identified to be in mild condition, while the rest, 39,391 (5%), have been marked as serious or critical.

At the same time, 228,923 (79%) people across the world have recovered fully from the infection or were discharged from treatment.

The new coronavirus strain has infected 1,098,456 people since its discovery in late December last year.

In January, China effectively shut down Wuhan and placed its 11 million residents in effective quarantine after the novel coronavirus infection turned into an outbreak.

The virus is thought to have emerged late last year in a wet market in Wuhan illegally trading wildlife. It can cause pneumonia, respiratory diseases, among others, and spreads between people in droplets from coughs and sneezes.

Till now, Covid-19, the disease caused by this novel coronavirus, has affected 205 countries and territories around the world and two international conveyances -- the Diamond Princess cruise ship harboured in Japan’s Yokohama and the Holland America's MS Zaandam cruise ship.

51
50
blogger sharing button blogger
buffer sharing button buffer
diaspora sharing button diaspora
digg sharing button digg
douban sharing button douban
email sharing button email
evernote sharing button evernote
flipboard sharing button flipboard
pocket sharing button getpocket
github sharing button github
gmail sharing button gmail
googlebookmarks sharing button googlebookmarks
hackernews sharing button hackernews
instapaper sharing button instapaper
line sharing button line
linkedin sharing button linkedin
livejournal sharing button livejournal
mailru sharing button mailru
medium sharing button medium
meneame sharing button meneame
messenger sharing button messenger
odnoklassniki sharing button odnoklassniki
pinterest sharing button pinterest
print sharing button print
qzone sharing button qzone
reddit sharing button reddit
refind sharing button refind
renren sharing button renren
skype sharing button skype
snapchat sharing button snapchat
surfingbird sharing button surfingbird
telegram sharing button telegram
tumblr sharing button tumblr
twitter sharing button twitter
vk sharing button vk
wechat sharing button wechat
weibo sharing button weibo
whatsapp sharing button whatsapp
wordpress sharing button wordpress
xing sharing button xing
yahoomail sharing button yahoomail