A growing number of cities have been imposing a range of restrictions in recent days far from central Hubei province
Millions more people have been ordered to stay indoors as China battles to curb the spread of a new virus that authorities said Wednesday has already killed nearly 500 people, reports AFP.
A growing number of cities have been imposing a range of restrictions in recent days far from central Hubei province, the epicentre of the outbreak, as authorities struggle to contain the virus.
The death toll from the coronavirus outbreak in mainland China rose to 492 as of yesterday, after Hubei, the province where the virus is thought to have originated, reported another 65 people had died from the flu-like infection. The highest single day death toll yet.
China's National Health Commission said yesterday the number of confirmed infections in the country rose to 24,551 after an additional 3,887 people were diagnosed with the virus, reports Reuters.
In Hangzhou, some 175km southwest of Shanghai, fences blocked streets near the headquarters of Chinese tech giant Alibaba – one of the world's most valuable companies – as a fighter jet circled overhead.
The building appeared to be shut down, while deliverymen moved in and out of nearby fenced-in residential areas to drop off groceries. Many people were also seen going out, reports Reuters.
At least three other cities in Zhejiang province – Taizhou, Wenzhou and parts of Ningbo – have imposed the same measures, affecting 18 million people.
Similar restrictions have been put in place as far away as Heilongjiang province on the Russia border, and in the central city of Zhumadian authorities said one person would be allowed to leave each household only every five days.
Residents of the city of seven million were also offered cash rewards for informing on people from neighbouring Hubei who were in the city.
Chinese hospitals discharge 892 recovered patients
A total of 892 patients infected with the novel coronavirus had been discharged from hospital after recovery by the end of Tuesday, Xinhua reported citing Chinese health authorities yesterday.
Tuesday saw 262 people walk out of the hospital after recovery (125 in Hubei), the National Health Commission said in its daily report.
Newborn tests positive
A baby in China's epidemic-hit Wuhan city has been diagnosed with the novel coronavirus just 30 hours after being born, Chinese state media reported Wednesday, reports AFP.
Pregnant women infected with the new coronavirus may be able to pass it to their unborn children, said chief physician of Wuhan Children Hospital's neonatal medicine department, Zeng Lingkong yesterday, reports Reuters citing state broadcaster CCTV.
Another cruise ship quarantined
Thousands of passengers and crew on a cruise ship that docked in Hong Kong yesterday were being kept on board while they were tested for a coronavirus as the city government said that all visitors from mainland China would be quarantined for two weeks, reports Reuters.
It has some 1,800 passengers and a similar number of staff on board.