A Nepali student studying in China tested positive for coronavirus
After claiming 41 lives in China, cases of Coronavirus have been detected in Nepal, Malaysia, and Australia.
A Nepali student home from China tested positive for the new coronavirus, an official in Kathmandu said on Friday, making it the first confirmed case in the Himalayan nation.
"One patient tested positive for coronavirus. He is a Nepali student studying in China," Mahendra Shrestha, a Health Ministry spokesperson, told Reuters.
The student had come home on holiday from Wuhan in China, a Ministry of Health statement said. He is being kept under surveillance and those in close contact with him were being investigated.
The airport in Wuhan, the epicentre of the virus, was closed on January 23.
The ministry said it was seeking health information from all passengers travelling from China into Nepal.
Malaysia on Saturday said it had confirmed three cases of Coronavirus infection, the first in the Southeast Asian country.
Health Minister Dzulkefly Ahmad said the three individuals infected were Chinese nationals and related to the 66-year-old man that was confirmed by Singapore health authorities to have tested positive for the virus.
The infected individuals were a 65-year-old woman, who is the wife of the man detected with the virus in Singapore, and their two grandsons, aged 11 and 2, Dzulkefly said.
The three have been admitted to Sungai Buloh hospital in Kuala Lumpur for treatment and were considered in stable conditions, the minister said at a news conference.
In a separate statement, Malaysia airports said it has heightened screening of all passengers and crew arriving from China at gateway airports across the country to minimize the potential spread of the virus.
Australia confirmed its first case of the new Coronavirus on Saturday in the state of Victoria, while the national government urged people not to travel to Hubei province in China, the epicentre of the outbreak.
A Chinese national in his 50s, who had been in the city of Wuhan where the virus first appeared, is in a stable condition in a Melbourne hospital after arriving from China on January 19 on a flight from Guangzhou, Victoria Health Minister Jenny Mikakos told journalists.
“It is important to stress that there is no cause for alarm to the community,” Mikakos said.
Victoria’s acting chief health officer Angie Bone said the patient is not in intensive care.
“He is stable and not in a very serious condition,” she said.
The death toll from the virus rose to 41 on Saturday, with more than 1,300 infected globally, but most of the cases and all of the deaths so far have been in Wuhan, where officials have imposed severe restrictions on travel and public gatherings.
The virus has created alarm, but there are still many unknowns surrounding it, such as just how dangerous it is and how easily it spreads between people. It can lead to pneumonia, which has been deadly in some cases.
Australians were urged on Saturday not to travel to the Hubei province in China, with the government issuing its most severe travel advisory.
“Strict travel restrictions have been imposed in Wuhan and a number of other cities in Hubei province,” Australia’s foreign ministry said in a statement. “If you travel to Hubei province at this time you may not be allowed to depart until travel restrictions are lifted.”
Australia is a popular destination for Chinese. It saw about 1.4 million short-term arrivals from China last year – the largest source of foreign visitors to the country.