The International Cricket Council chief executive officer David Richardson said the organisation will instigate its own security investigations to ensure confidence of the safety of its match officials for the bilateral series between Bangladesh and England. The ICC announcement came in a day after the England and Wales Cricket Board’s (ECB) gave green signal to their tour of Bangladesh this year.
The ICC CEO made the statement through a media release yesterday. Richardson in the press release welcomed the England and Wales Cricket Board’s decision to go ahead with the tour following the assessment of arrangements in Bangladesh.
“Where those threats are considered higher, cricket, like other sports, undertakes extensive security assessments in determining whether or not matches can go ahead. Under the expert guidance of Reg Dickason, England have concluded that it is safe to tour Bangladesh. We welcome this decision understanding the extent of the intelligence behind it where the safety of players and staff is of utmost importance,” said Richardson in the press release.
“Now the ECB has given the tour the go ahead, the ICC will instigate our own security investigations to ensure we are confident of the safety of our match officials.
“Earlier this year, we held the ICC Under-19 World Cup in Bangladesh with great success. Like the ECB, we had carried out all the relevant safety assessments prior to the tournament and concluded it was safe for everyone involved to play,” he added.
England are scheduled to tour Bangladesh for two Tests and three one-day internationals in late September. The series fell in jeopardy following the terrorist attack in Dhaka in July this year. However, a satisfactory assessment of security arrangement in Bangladesh made the ECB declare green light to the tour on Friday.