• Friday, Jan 24, 2020
  • Last Update : 02:19 am

Madrasa teacher remanded in Sholakia attack case

  • Published at 07:06 pm August 24th, 2016
  • Last updated at 06:51 pm August 25th, 2016

A Kishoreganj court on Wednesday placed one of the accused in Sholakia terror attack case on a five-day remand.

Judge of the Chief Judicial Magistrate Court Abdus Salam Khan passed the order after Investigation Officer Md Morshed Zaman, also OC of Kishoreganj model police, produced Md Anwar Hossain before it seeking 10 days to interrogate him.

Head of Ebtedayi department of Khalshi Dakhil Madrasa at Gobindaganj of Gaibandha, Anwar, 48, was arrested from his house in Panthopara area on July 22 for sheltering one of the youths who carried out the Sholakia attack on July 7. He was remanded for five days in a case filed in Gaibandha.

Police on Wednesday showed him arrested in Sholakia attack case and were granted the remand for interrogation.

According to investigators, the militants – linked to a new faction of banned outfit Jama'atul Mujahideen Bangladesh (JMB) who took part in Gulshan and Sholakia attacks and those killed in a raid at Kallyanpur – had been trained at a remote sandbar in Gaibandha.

Sholakia attacker Shafiul Islam Sohan alias Shariful alias Abu Muktadil was arrested after the attack on a police check-post near the Eid congregation at Sholakia with machetes, bombs and pistols. Shafiul earlier confessed that he had been staying at Anwar’s house before the attack.

He was killed in an alleged "gunfight" between Rapid Action Battalion and his cohorts at Nandail, Mymensingh on August 4.

On the Eid-ul-Fitr morning of July 7, a police check-post near the Sholakia Eidgah ground came under a terrorist attack. Two policemen were killed by the militants while a woman was killed during a gunfight between the police and the attackers. One of the attackers – Abir Rahman – was also killed.

According to another source in Kishoreganj police, Sholakia attacker Abir and the five militants killed after the Gulshan attack had also stayed at Anwar's house.