• Saturday, Mar 06, 2021
  • Last Update : 11:15 am

Bangladesh, India to ink new $2bn LoC today

  • Published at 06:59 pm March 8th, 2016

Dhaka and New Delhi will sign a final deal today on the new Indian $2 billion Line of Credit (LoC) offered to Bangladesh by India around nine months back.

The agreement delayed due to disagreements over some terms and conditions like procurement of goods and services from both the countries, consultant appointment, seller selection, tax, VAT and procurement guideline to execute 13 projects under the LoC.

“But the unsettled issues were already settled down through long negotiations, paving the way for inking the deal,” said an Economic Relations Division (ERD) official.

On February 28, the prime minister approved the draft agreement, sources said in the ERD.

Under the draft agreement, on the use of goods and services, the two countries reached consensus that 65% to 75% of goods and services will be procured from India like the previous LoC.

Further reductions on the use of goods and services may be considered on a case-by-case basis, provided that they are not sourced from a third country, according to the draft.

In case of projects related to the civil construction, construction materials will be sourced from India-based suppliers if they are made available at prices stipulated in the contract.

Earlier, Bangladesh insisted that India reduce procurement of its goods and services to 65% or below it for civil works-related projects and more reduction for other projects.

Under the LoC, India primarily said a minimum of 75% goods and services needs to be of Indian origin and must be procured from India.

In response to it in July, Bangladesh proposed that 60% goods and services would be procured from India while the rest 40% from Bangladesh, and 50% construction materials like brick, sand and cement from India and 50% from Bangladesh.

On payment of customs duty, VAT and tax, the meeting decided to discuss further and was told that Indian must pay all personal and corporate taxes as per the country’s rules.

Earlier, India had requested Bangladesh to re-think about not giving tax and VAT waiver for its individuals and companies.

Both sides agreed to handle the letter of credit issue, borrower’s liability, immunity for the borrower, legal proceedings by court, specimen signature and amortisation schedule.

India had offered the new LoC at 1% interest and 0.5% commitment fee (on undisbursed amount) during Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s two-day state visit to Bangladesh in the first week of June. The loan will have to be repaid in 20 years with a five-year grace period.

In August 2010, Bangladesh signed first $1billion credit deal with India to support Bangladesh’s development works. Of which, $800 million have so far been released.

The proposed 13 projects for fresh LoC included setting up of double railway tracks in Khulna- Darshana line, converting the Parbatipur-Kaunia metre gauge line to a dual-gauge track, upgrading the Syedpur railway workshop, installation of Barapukuria-Bogra-Kaliakor 400-kilovolt power-transmission line, procurement of 500 trucks and 500 buses for BRTC, procurement of modern equipment to upgrade the Roads and Highways Department, setting up of four medical colleges and hospitals, national burn and plastic surgery institute and construction of 49 polytechnic and teacher-training institutes. 

Facebook 50
blogger sharing button blogger
buffer sharing button buffer
diaspora sharing button diaspora
digg sharing button digg
douban sharing button douban
email sharing button email
evernote sharing button evernote
flipboard sharing button flipboard
pocket sharing button getpocket
github sharing button github
gmail sharing button gmail
googlebookmarks sharing button googlebookmarks
hackernews sharing button hackernews
instapaper sharing button instapaper
line sharing button line
linkedin sharing button linkedin
livejournal sharing button livejournal
mailru sharing button mailru
medium sharing button medium
meneame sharing button meneame
messenger sharing button messenger
odnoklassniki sharing button odnoklassniki
pinterest sharing button pinterest
print sharing button print
qzone sharing button qzone
reddit sharing button reddit
refind sharing button refind
renren sharing button renren
skype sharing button skype
snapchat sharing button snapchat
surfingbird sharing button surfingbird
telegram sharing button telegram
tumblr sharing button tumblr
twitter sharing button twitter
vk sharing button vk
wechat sharing button wechat
weibo sharing button weibo
whatsapp sharing button whatsapp
wordpress sharing button wordpress
xing sharing button xing
yahoomail sharing button yahoomail