• Sunday, Dec 15, 2019
  • Last Update : 04:41 pm

Another victim of Uttara gas explosion dies

  • Published at 12:08 pm February 27th, 2016

One more victim of the explosion caused by gas leak at a flat in Uttara, has died at Dhaka Medical College Hospital.

Shahnewaz, 50, succumbed to his injuries around 5:55pm Saturday, duty doctor of burn unit's ICU Wahed Murshed said.

Shahnewaz was an employee at the US Embassy in Dhaka. Along with Shahnewaz, his wife Sumaiya, 38, and their sons Sharleen, 15, Zarif, 9, and 14-month-old Zayan received burns in the incident that took place around 5:30am Friday.

Sharleen and Zayan died of their injuries on Friday, hours after they were admitted to the burn unit with 88% and 74% burns respectively.

Also Read: 2 dead, 3 burnt in gas explosion

Armin Nishat, a cousin of Shahnewaz, said when the family was brought in to the DMCH, Shahnewaz told her that the entire flat caught fire when Sumaiya lit a match to light the stove in the kitchen.

Moniruzzaman Hossain, a neighbour, told the Dhaka Tribune: “I woke up in the morning hearing the loud noise of explosion. When I went out to see what the matter was, I saw heavy smoke coming out of their [the victims’] flat, then burning bodies started coming out.”

Fire fighters suspect there was a gas leak in the stove pipeline in the flat’s kitchen.