A Hobiganj court yesterday placed two people on 10-day remand in connection with killing four schoolboys at Bahubal upazila.
Senior Judicial Magistrate Kawserul Alam passed the order after Officer-in-Charge of Detective Branch (DB) Abdul Muktadir, also investigation officer of the case, produced Abdul Ali, 50, and his son Jewel Mia, 22, before the court praying 10-day remand for each.
Police arrested the duo for their alleged involvement in the killing of four schoolboys - Monir Miah, 7, son of Abdal Miah; Jakaria Ahmed Shuvo, 8, son of Md Wahid Miah; Tajel Miah, 10, son of Abdul Aziz; and Ismail Hossain, 10, son of Abdul Kader onn Wednesday.
Being informed by locals, police recovered the bodies of the schoolboys who went missing on Friday morning from Sundrateki village from a ditch on Wednesday. A total of five people have so far been arrested in connection with the gruesome murder of the four schoolboys.
Of the arrestees three are being interrogated at Bahubal police station.
Soon after the recovery of the bodies, district police authorities declared a reward of Tk1 lakh for giving information to trace the criminals.
Earlier, Habiganj Superintendent of Police Joydeb Kumar Bhadra declared a bounty of Tk20,000 for any information regarding the missing children.
Officer-in-Charge of Hobiganj Sadar Model police station Mohammad Naziuddin told the Dhaka Tribune that Abdul Ali and Jewel were sent to jail. The schoolboys were laid to eternal rest at Bahubal graveyard on Wednesday night. Hundreds of people took part in their Janaza.
Families blame police for negligence in finding out victims
Relatives and local people blamed police’s negligence for not finding out the boys soon after their missing complain was filed.
Abdul Jalil Mia, father of one of schoolboys Monir Miah, said: “If police were sincere on the first day of their missing, they would not die.
“When we went to them they suggested praying and going to Imams. We got astonished hearing their advice”
Pranto, a local, told the Dhaka Tribune that police could not take any prompt measures over their trace.
Officer-in-Charge of Bahubal police station told the Dhaka Tribune that they were sincere since the beginning of the case.
He also said a number of police teams started working after the missing report of the boys filed.
Director General of Police, Sylhet Range said action would be taken if anyone found guilty.
He also said police would try to know motive behind the killing soon.