• Saturday, Mar 06, 2021
  • Last Update : 09:54 am

Govt plans to build 12 barracks for police

  • Published at 07:49 pm February 14th, 2016

The government is mulling over a plan to build 12 police barracks across the country to accommodate thousands of policemen recruited over the last five years.

The Tk219.17cr project tilted Construction of 12 Barracks at Different Units of Police Department is expected to be placed at the executive committee of the National Economic Council (Ecnec) meeting scheduled for tomorrow.

Under the proposed project by the Home Ministry, 12 barracks will be constructed at 12 thanas under 10 districts – Dhaka (Ashulia), Gazipur (Sadar), Narayanganj (Sadar and Fatullah), Chittagong (Double Mooring and Khulshi), Comilla (Kotwali), Rajshahi (Rajpara),  Khulna (Sadar ), Barisal (Kotwali ), Sylhet (Kotwali ) and Rangpur (Sadar).

“We are trying to resolve the accommodation problems faced by the police department,” said Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan Kamal while talking to the Dhaka Tribune yesterday.

“However, it’s an ongoing process. The prime minister is sincere about the police force.”

The proposed project is expected to be completed by June, 2019 under the supervision of Bangladesh Police and Public Works Department.

About 30,000 policemen have been recruited over the last five years and 50,000 more will be recruited in next few years in line with the growing demand for police service.

“But the accommodation has not been raised in accordance with the rising police members. At present, residential facilities at the police units are inadequate compared to the police force,” it said giving logic for the proposal.

Currently, around 15,000 police members are getting 5,888 residential facilities in the proposed 12 barracks and 6,000 more residential facilities have been proposed to construct at the same barracks, the proposal said.

The project evaluation committee, in its observation, said police members will be able to play their roles with more effectively and efficiently in maintaining the law and order, once the project is completed.

Earlier, Inspector General of Police AKM Shahidul Haque described the housing problem of police and said now 2% police is getting housing facilities, but the remaining 98% is suffering from residential crisis. 

Facebook 50
blogger sharing button blogger
buffer sharing button buffer
diaspora sharing button diaspora
digg sharing button digg
douban sharing button douban
email sharing button email
evernote sharing button evernote
flipboard sharing button flipboard
pocket sharing button getpocket
github sharing button github
gmail sharing button gmail
googlebookmarks sharing button googlebookmarks
hackernews sharing button hackernews
instapaper sharing button instapaper
line sharing button line
linkedin sharing button linkedin
livejournal sharing button livejournal
mailru sharing button mailru
medium sharing button medium
meneame sharing button meneame
messenger sharing button messenger
odnoklassniki sharing button odnoklassniki
pinterest sharing button pinterest
print sharing button print
qzone sharing button qzone
reddit sharing button reddit
refind sharing button refind
renren sharing button renren
skype sharing button skype
snapchat sharing button snapchat
surfingbird sharing button surfingbird
telegram sharing button telegram
tumblr sharing button tumblr
twitter sharing button twitter
vk sharing button vk
wechat sharing button wechat
weibo sharing button weibo
whatsapp sharing button whatsapp
wordpress sharing button wordpress
xing sharing button xing
yahoomail sharing button yahoomail